Part 4

Automatically, Ithilae places her foot on the Ring as it stops bouncing and rolls in her direction, taunting her. She nearly growls at having come in contact with the cursed thing. She can hear silent whispers starting to crowd her mind.

Everyone is silent for a moment, watching carefully as she lifts her foot off of the Ring before bending forward and clasping her fingers around the cold metal. Her features scrunch up in a sneer as she rises to her feet, ignoring Gandalf as he shifts to the edge of his seat.

"Ithilae..." she hears him whisper her name in concern.

She steps up to the pedestal and reaches out to place the thing back to its previous position before noticing her hand, or rather, her grandfather's. Hers has been replaced by his in order to shield her from the effect of the Ring. The eerie white hand of Celebrimbor releases the Ring, letting it drop like a stone. Her mind immediately quiets down.

Ithilae quickly lowers her hand as her grandfather's fades from sight and looks around those present defiantly, daring them to speak. None do, too shocked to speak. Some even look at her fearfully, while other look more intrigued. She slowly turns her back to them before returning quietly to her seat.

"Are you alright, my daughter's daughter?" Celebrimbor questions, only for her to hear. She gives a silent nod in reply, though her posture is tense.

Lord Elrond steps forth finally, having shot to his feet before. "The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you... must do this." he reveals.

Boromir is the first to speak once again, "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep and the great eye is ever watchful. 'Tis a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly." he states, shaking his head.

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed." Legolas exclaims, springing to his feet.

"And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?" Gimli nearly spits, making Legolas look back at him as if saying; 'I said no such thing.'

"And if we fail, what then?" Boromir question legitimately, fearful at the idea. "What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?"

"I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Gimli exclaims, his eyes shining with a fire in them. He seems to have forgotten that just a moment ago, an elleth held it.

That last comment has sent every other Elf but Ithilae on their feet and into a heated argument with the Dwarves. The other men are quick to join in also and chaos ensues. The only ones still seated in silence are the elleth and hobbit.

Said hobbit glances at the woman who rubs her pounding head. She catching him looking and their gazes meet for a second before turning back to the argument before them.

"They're like roosters, trying to see who will crow loudest. At times like these I'm glad to carry the sensibility of a woman." Ithilae speaks up to him, surprising him at her vague sense of humor, at a time like this.

"This will get us nowhere. How do we stop them?" he asks her, looking very bothered by the arguing. Ithilae shrugs in response.

Sighing, his eyes return to the Ring. This is what is causing them to act like thus. While they should be united in a common cause, they instead fight. His face scrunches up in thought. He wished to go home, but if this matter doesn't resolve itself, then soon there will be no home for him, not for anyone.

Hearing the dark whispers of the Ring in his head he slowly gets to his feet, aware of the elleth's eyes on him.

"I will take it." he speaks up, but not loud enough for all to hear over the arguing. He glances at Ithilae quickly, seeing her saddened eyes on him. Somehow, her pity only urges him on. He tries again; "I will take it!"

They seem to have heard, because everyone falls silent and turns to him, putting him on the spot. "I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though... I do not know the way." he admits uncertainly.

Gandalf gazes at him, his eyes mirroring the elleth's before closing for a moment in resignation. "I will help you bear this burden Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear." he tells the hobbit as he steps up to stand behind him in support.

"If by my life or death I can protect you, I will." Aragorn is next to speak up, joining the wizard and hobbit. "You have my sword." he vows.

"And you have my bow." Legolas adds quickly. There are no reservations in his eyes about the matter.

"And my axe." Gimli states, not about to be outdone by an Elf.

Boromir nods finally. "You carry the fate of us all little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done." he says kindly, joining the group.

Lord Elrond's eyes turn to the silent woman who is biting her thumbnail. She raises a brow before sighing. "It speaks for itself that I will join you youngling." she tells the hobbit, making him smile slightly. Gandalf nods in satisfaction.

Gimli raises a brow. "A-are you sure about this lass? Perhaps this is more of a task for men?" he suggest hesitantly. He is a little unsure about her after earlier happenings. He's not the only one. Only Frodo, Gandalf and Aragorn seem unconcerned.

"You question my abilities Dwarf?" she counters, making him stammer as her eyes lock on his short form.

Before he can speak, a form dashes from the brush. "Mr Frodo's not going anywhere without me!" a young dirty blonde hobbit calls out, moving to stand beside Frodo who looks back at him gratefully.

"No indeed. It is hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not!" Elrond says indignantly.

At this, two more figures dart from the bushes. "Wait! We're coming too!" one calls.

"You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us." the blonde states resolutely.

"Anyway you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing." the one with darker hair stammers, looking quite smug. It causes for a lot of raised eyebrows.

"Well that rules you out Pip." the blonde says to his friend exasperated.

Elrond looks over the motley crew before him. "Ten companions... So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!" he declares.

"Great! Where are we going?" the rather clueless hobbit questions innocently.