Alexis' eyes followed her until she was out of view, a frown settled between her eyebrows. There was a peculiarity about the girl, making Alexis feel as if she knew her but couldn't quite put her finger on who she was. "Who is she?"

"Valerie Churchill," replied James, making recognition instantly dawn on Alexis with the renowned last name. "Fifth year Gryffindor, I believe."

"Yeah, yeah," Alexis nodded, remembering the fuzz that had ensued when the Sorting Hat had called out her name back in second year. "Winston Churchill's granddaughter, innit? I hadn't heard from her in a while."

James chuckled. "I didn't even remember her and we're on the same House. I have a feeling she likes it that way, though. But anyway, she so happened to be here when I arrived with this," he gestured at the hot chocolate and donuts, "so I asked her to keep an eye on it while I ran off to get you."

She nodded again before focusing her attention on his little set up. "You made the poor house elves work at this hour?" She giggled as she sat cross-legged on the floor. The smell of the cocoa instantly filling her nostrils, its warmth a pleasant sensation on the crisp spring night. She attentively watched his every move, admiring the confidence he carried himself with yet aware of the nerves that constantly fiddled with him.

"They were happy to see me, I'll have you know." He chuckled softly just as he sat across from her. He hadn't been lying when he said there were plenty of things he needed to get out of his head, it was evident on the clouded look in his eyes, but he seemed to struggle with the task of connecting his mind to his tongue.

Alexis decided to spare him the trouble and spoke up instead. "I did kiss you, and although I don't regret it, I still think we should take our time with things, you know?" She paused to take a bite from a glazed donut, admittedly doing so as a distraction to try to hide the sudden nerves that were making an appearance. "I want to give us a chance, but I'm still a little... I don't know, uneasy? Hurt?" She sighed and found the courage to look up at him, weary of how he was going to take her next comment. "James, I love you, I do. But I'm not as crazed about you as I used to be. We need to work our way there again. We need to start over."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about," he commented as he uneasily scratched the back of his head, "I don't want to pressure you, Lex. The fact that you're even willing to give me another chance is more than I could ever ask for. But I want you to be ready for it, I want to do it on your own terms. I can wait, that's okay, I just want you to be happy and a hundred percent sure of your decisions."

Alexis had to stop herself from groaning at his words. As always, he was being so considerate and understanding it was painful. "You're not pressuring me James. I want to do this. Let's just—let's take baby steps."

James chuckled softly, his gaze set intently on her as a glint shimmered on his eyes. "Yeah, I get it. We don't have to rush what's forever."

"Do you have to be so sappy all the time?" She looked up at him with a teasing grin playing on her face, receiving a roll of the boy's eyes.

"Remind me to never be romantic with you again, woman," he reached for the donut on her hand and took it from her grasp, taking a big bite from it before offering her a silly smile.

"Oh no, so does that mean you're not going to serenade me in front of the entire school?" She placed her hand on her chest with fake outrage.