She halfling sped up, steadily gaining on Ajax, who was tailing behind Sebastian and Siren. He wasn't as fast as his companions, due to his height and weight. It made him the perfect prey; slow and dumb.

He glanced at her and cursed loudly. Turning slightly, he pointed a hand at her and yelled, "Fuliminatis!" A crackling stream of electricity sliced through the air on its way toward her.

Her instincts took over and her mind shut off. Tucking her arms close to her sides, she jumped, flattened her body, and spun away from the attack. Without missing a beat, she stuck the landing and continued chasing Ajax.

"For fuck's sake!" Ajax yelled. He faced his friends ahead of him. "We've got a problem!"

You sure do.

She sprang through the air and landed on the tall ginger's back, sending them both into the cool, damp sand. His elbow dug into her stomach. She yelped, her gut flaring with pain, but kept her arms tightened around his thick neck. Her muscles screamed while she held onto him for dear life.

He swung an arm and caught her in the face. She released her hold and rolled away. Snarling, she watched him get to his feet.

Scowling, Ajax pushed his stringy, orange hair out his face. "Telumis vayrir!" His battle axe materialized in his hand. A faint green aura surrounded the weapon. The silver blade glinted under the moonlight. Makaela could vaguely see her reflection in it.

Amora arrived at Makaela's side with her dagger in her hand.

Nearby, Thorian and Emile had reached an impasse with Sirus. They couldn't break through his defenses and the man couldn't direct any meaningful attacks their way. Sebastian and Siren had also joined the lord of House Aegeon, helping to keep the pair of older dark magicians at bay.

Everyone paused, taking a few moments to size each other up. No one said a word. The wind howled around them. The waves lapped up onto the shore, the noise both soothing and ominous.

"I see you've brought back up," Sirus said dryly. He frowned when he saw Makaela. Despite her wearing a mask, she could tell he had recognized her. "Makaela? What have they done to you?"

"They helped me realize my true power."

Thorian released his scythe and the weapon vanished into the mark on his palm. "Surrender now, Sirus. This is your final warning. Hand over the gauntlet and no one else has to die tonight."

Sirus scoffed. "Do you actually expect me to believe if I give you the artifact, you'll let me live?" He shook his head. "Pierre was right. You have totally lost your mind."

Makaela frowned at the mention of her father's name.

Thorian exhaled agitatedly. "I am trying to—"

"Make the world better for magicians," Sirus finished. "Yeah, I've heard your spiel too many times. You know, I once believed in your plan. I thought you had our people's best intentions in mind. But I was wrong. You don't care about your people. You care about power. Control. You're a tyrant."

"Choose your next words carefully."

Makaela watched the two men cautiously. The wind paused, almost as if it were waiting for Sirus to speak. No one said a word. Everyone's attention was on Sirus and Thorian.

"I've been afraid of you for far too long," Sirus continued. "I turned a blind eye while you murdered an entire house, something I'll regret for the rest of my life. I ignored all the signs during your 'just' rule of the council. But I'm done being afraid. It's high time someone stood up to you."