009

Sammy Walcott

This morning is different. I mean yes, I still woke up to the whistling of the kettle and my reflection still looked pale and lean. The difference is my eye bruise is completely gone and I looked...lively.

I can't say the emotion is happy 'cus I don't have a smile on my face and I don't feel like dancing my long forgotten Michael Jackson moves. But my eyes. My eyes had a spark in them that wasn't there the last two mornings or even month or week.

I smirked at my reflection before going in to do my bathroom business. Coming out I settled on a dark slightly skinny jean, a black tee and a black hoodie zip up jacket. The fur around the hood was white though, matching perfectly with my black and white Nike shoes. There was no saving my hair, even if I bothered to tame it, the little wind outside would mess it up in seconds.

"Good morning mum," I greeted collecting my mug of coffee from her.

She kissed my cheek going around the kitchen table. "I packed some leftovers for your lunch. Make sure to eat."

"Sure mum, how can I resist such a magical meal."

She giggled, "Yesterday was great wasn't it?"

I nodded gulping down hot coffee. "You slayed mum. I was so proud."

She smiled, "You also seemed to get along with Elijah. You guys are still friends right?"

"Mmm," I said pucking my lips as I pretended to think about it. "I think so. He's good."

"You're in a good mood Sammy. Me like."

I chuckled, "I'm I not always in a good mood." She gave me the you really ask me that eye and I sighed, "I slept good."

"Me too."

I frowned at that. That's probably because Dennis didn't come back all night long. I waited for him till one am but he didn't show. I just wish he'd stay out forever.

My mum and I turned around when we heard the front door open...

Speak of the devil. Why can't wishes or my wishes come through for once. Its like the universe is laughing at my face for even wishing such a thing. They could be saying that we'll never get rid of him, he's a thorn that has come to stay. If that's what they are saying, then they are wrong. Very wrong.

I'll get rid of Dennis. Somehow. Anyhow. I'll rid my mom and I of this beast. Its going to happen.

"I'm home!" He shouted stumbling in and almost falling face flat.

I heard mum sigh and my fist automatically clenched.

"Melissa! Melissa come help me up to my room!" He shouted like a crazy man. "I'm so drunk, the earth's spinning. Melissa!"

"You should go to school." Mum tells me, reaching to remove her apron.

"Stay. I've got this." I tell mum without looking at her. I get up from the stool and walked to him.

"What took you so long woman!" Dennis said shoving me backwards. "You're so slow and stupid."

Is this how he would have shoved my mum. My mum slow and stupid?! I glared and was seriously tempted to raise my fist and knock his two front teeth out. But I stopped myself knowing fully well its not time yet. Doing anything rash would just be digging our graves.

Soon. Very soon.

I reached out for him, swinging his arm around my shoulder to support him as I lead us both upstairs. He accidentally hit his foot against a stair and he hit me, calling me foolish and useless. All the while mistaking me for my mum.

Walking towards the room, my shoulder started aching, he was really heavier than me. I tried to adjust so he won't be so heavy and he stumbled forward. I was slapped and shoved for that.

In the room, I purposefully let him go and he hit his head on a drawer. That drew a satisfied smile out of me. While coming downstairs, I tasted blood. Reaching up with my finger I touched fresh blood on my bottom lip. Great another injury.

Needless to say, my day has just gone from bright to stormy.

"Sammy," my mum called in an effort to pacify me. Won't work, I'm bloody mad.

"It's fine." I sharply cut her off, taking my packed lunch and backpack before storming out.

I'm not one to put blame on people and I try not to. It doesn't pay. Just focus on eliminating the problem. I sighed running a hand through my hair. One day. One day I'll leave the house without any bruise.

The sky was a little bright but the wind was still present. Not much but enough to take a kite across the Pacific. I'm already late for school, there's no way I'll make it before the first period. Especially if I keep standing here.

"Never thought you'd come out."

I looked from my hood to see Elijah relaxing on his black Ferrari, legs stretched out, arms folded. He effortlessly looked good and unlike me, seemed to have the perfect hair that fell around his eyes. He looked up with a smile.

"Who would have guessed Sammy Walcott a tardy student. Tsk tsk, I thought I taught you better." He said with a shake of head. Then widened his eye a bit, the amusing glint in his eyes gone. "What happened to your lip?"

"What are you doing here Elijah?" I asked, I would have been amused by the whole thing or make an old joke out of it. But there is nothing remotely funny or amusing to me right now. Plus, I'm ignoring my lip question.

He sighed, "it's Eli. And what else? I'm waiting to give you a ride. My tardy neighbor. Now what happened to your lip?"

"Hit my face on a door." I rushed out, seeing as he won't leave it. "Go to school Elijah." I told him, taking a step to walk away.

"Oh come on," Elijah said reaching for my hand. "I've been waiting for an hour now. You don't expect to just go now right?"

I wrung my hand out of his. "One hour? You're pretty jobless aren't you?"

"Yea, I was going to look for a job when we were fully settled but dad said to not do it and just concentrate on getting A's so I'm gonna be jobless for a while." He tells me gesturing with his hands.

I glare, giving him my don't mess with me look. And he sighed again. "You're angry but I'm not the cause of whatever happened. I've waited already and the least you can do right now is not let my waiting go in vain. And you're already late, my giving you a ride might actually get us both to first period. It's a win win."

I look at him wondering what his aiming at. Waiting for me for one hour, pure stupidity. Now us both would be tardy. Well I guess this is what he meant by 'making it up to me'. And I could really use a ride.

Without another word, I round the car opening up the door and getting into the car. It smelled like leather and his Cologne. Elijah entered the car grinning. "See? How hard was that?"

"Really hard. Who knew you're still stupid. Waiting for one hour? Biggest dummy ever. Now you'll be tardy."

"Some things never change Sammy." He says driving off. And I relax into the chair, the headache from Dennis slap finally making itself known.

Yea, but some things do. Many things do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------