Nighttime Beauty

Later inside the bathroom Drac brushed his fangs, chose the perfect black suit and slipped out into the bedroom, changing into a bat before flapping off down the hall. If anyone found out what he was up to they'd never let him hear the end of it. He finally exited onto the deck and began looking for Rachel through the crowd, at some point the masses parted and he saw someone at the railing. He froze, and dropped to the deck with a thud, changing back into his traditional state.

Looking out on the stars while wearing a casual short sea-blue dress, was Rachel, eyes tilted to the heavens and face gleaming with moonlight beauty. She seemed almost unhappy, he noticed, her starlit eyes holding some hidden fear. He watched for a moment longer before clearing his throat. She whirled around and beamed upon seeing him, how he wanted to always make her smile like that.

"Drac!" She ran up but stopped before she would've embraced him, he smiled lightly. "I don't bite." His arms uncurled slowly, she hesitated before falling slowly into his embrace.

Her body he noted was soft and smooth, perfectly made and young. Her hair smelled like childhood memories lost to time and youth never ending. And the way her cheek rested against his chest as though she had done it before, there was a sweet innocence to it he found more alluring then he'd ever let on. When they pulled apart, her sparkling eyes went to his and they both smiled slowly. It wasn't until someone dropped their plate with a sudden crash when they both jumped and pulled apart.

"You actually came." He arched a skeptical brow. "You thought I wouldn't?" She shrugged. "Something like that, a lot of guys have...stood me up." He took her hand with a gentle smile. "I would never dream of leaving such an adorable girl to eat all alone." She giggled softly, cheeks going light pink. "Well what do you know, chivalry really isn't dead." "For some." They both laughed. As it faded, he noticed her glance back to the water with a hidden sadness, like something important was out there.

"Do you like the sea?" Her smile was a sad one. "It has its ups and downs." Noticing the sorrow laced in her voice, he quickly changed the subject. "You haven't told me who you're staying with onboard the ship." Her eyes snapped back to his.

"The captain, Erica, she's my...guardian." "Where are your parents?" Almost instantly he regretted the question, but she just laughed lightly under her breath and went to stand at the railing, a thoughtful gleam in her eyes. He smoothly glided to her side.

"The tell-tale question, one that usually starts a whole complicated web of a story." "I'm sorry if I offended you." Her head dipped down a little.

"You didn't. It's just...I don't quite remember my parents, or anything about my past for that matter. I guess I did but it's all a blur now. Erica's always been there, she's my mom, my coach. I don't know what I'd do without her. And yet..." She raised her head to look out onto the ocean beyond.

"I can't help but feel like something's missing, something she can't explain to me. Like...I'm destined for something that doesn't include her." She looked back to Drac. "Does that strange?" "On the contrary, I think I can relate to it." And for a long moment they just got lost in each other's eyes. It wasn't until one of the fish workers tripped and landed on the deck with a wet sounding splat when they both looked away, blushing furiously.

*Author's Note: In case you haven't noticed, I've hit a dead end on what to add to this story next, but I really don't want to discontinue it. So please be patient with me and show your support if you still want me to continue it.*