Chapter 1

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it and join the dance." - Alan Watts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER ONE:

The taxi cab my brother and I had snagged from Heathrow Airport rolled up to the front of the school and the driver let out a low whistle. "This is where you kids go to school?"

"Yeah, unfortunately," Jesse grumbled as he handed the driver some coins and pound notes. "Keep the change."

We got out and popped open the taxi boot to take out our suitcases. Once all of the suitcases were on the pavement, the taxi drove away at a leisurely pace, leaving us alone standing at the front of the school and gazing up at it.

It was a really, really nice school, I'll admit that. It oozed money. It looked like one of those old manors from the Victorian Era, it was so perfectly detailed. When the taxi had dropped us off, he had to drive through wrought iron gates and past lawns of neatly mown grass and hedges. The estate was absolutely beautiful. Green moss covered half of the front of the looming building and flora was just so lush and green. A river ran right along the building and there was a bridge to get the other side. Even the other side was rather large and well-cared for. Flowerbeds of red, orange and yellow were potted nicely around the manor. It was every bit one would expect a posh English boarding school to look like. Whoever had previously owned this place must have been a billionaire to have had this as a home.

Gathering my wits, I nudged Jesse's shoulder ahead of me and started walking towards the doors. I couldn't stop looking left and right at my surroundings. Once we got inside the building, I was kind of surprised to see a modernized reception with an old lady finishing a call.

"Hello, welcome to St. Verity's Academy. Is there anything I can help you with?" The receptionist, a greying lady who looked like she didn't want to be accepted into the grandma society just yet, greeted us.

"Hi," I began before Jesse could. Knowing him and his stupid mouth, he would probably end up saying something idiotic in the process. "We're the two new students from Australia. Um, we just wanted to check into our dorms or something."

The receptionist smiled at us. "Ah...from down under, are you? I suppose you two must be Melody and Jesse Rellis, then." She held up a slender finger briefly and opened up a drawer by the computer, searching for our documents, probably. A few moments passed before she handed us our new dorm keys, and our separate timetables and maps.

"Thank you." I said to her, proceeding to walk out of the reception and into a bland hallway, unfolding my map.

Jesse frowned. "'Skyler Thompson's Behavioural Class'?" He read over his piece of paper. "What is this? This isn't my timetable. That old bat gave me the wrong one."

I glanced and him and took it out of his hands. I skimmed the timetable and looked for a name at the top of the page. Indeed, there was a 'Skyler Thompson' written at the top.

I walked back to the receptionist but there was already a girl with short, straight blonde hair talking to her in an irritated tone. "This isn't mine, Carol! This is some kid's timetable called Jaime Rellis or some shit." She seethed at the poor old lady, her knuckles glowing white as she clutched Jesse's timetable angrily. "Just get me mine!"

Carol, the receptionist, pushed her glasses up and was about to reprimand the disrespectful girl when I hesitantly tapped the blonde on the shoulder. She swivelled around and yelled, "WHAT?" right into my face.

Gulping, I showed her Jesse's wrong timetable. "Is this yours?" I asked, hoping she'd say yes.

"Yeah, it's mine." She threw a snide glance toward Carol.

I handed her the timetable and she took hers without even a small thank-you. I frowned. Rude, much?

She handed me Jesse's crinkled schedule and smiled kindly at me, as if she didn't just have spaz attack. "Sorry, I'm Skyler." She introduced herself.

"I figured. I'm Melody Rellis." I said, trying not to give her a weird look and opting for what I hoped could pass as a friendly smile. I pointed over my shoulder to my brother. "And that's Jesse, my little brother."

Skyler grinned and sort of slightly fluttered her eyes. "Okay, well, I better get back to my friends." She walked out of the building to where a group of people were standing around in front of the clear-glass reception doors. "See you around, Melody." I hesitated before giving her a tiny wave.

"She seems nice, if only a bit...temperamental, I guess." I murmured absentmindedly to Jesse who was staring in the wake of Skyler with a transfixed smile on his face.

I mentally scoffed silently and rolled my eyes at my little brother. I walked past him, nudging his shoulder as a sign to keep moving forward.

"Come on, Jesse," I said, moving towards the double doors leading outside. "Let's go find where we'll be living for the rest of the year."