Chapter 5- Friends? Friends.

As the weekend came to a close, dread filled my body. Dread that was a concequence of talking to Peeta Mellark in that lesson. I could feel the presence in the apartment, the one that made my already nervous self pushed to the point of breaking. However i couldn't shatter, couldn't rupture like i had done all those years ago because if there was one thing my life had taught me was that you cannot run from things, only learn to deal with the situation.

Even though i had come to the conclusion a long time ago that going outside would never help, i felt myself suffocating in this tiny apartment with windows that ceased to open. So, on that note, i slid my jacket over my bony shoulders, assuring that it covers my blue denim dress. You couldn't count more than five seconds before i was out the door and skipping down the steps until i reached the door and slammed it open with my fists.

After a while of strolling down the road i decided on going down to the beach to get some fresh salt water air and clear my head, not wanting to be in that apartment a second longer than was necessary. Approaching the sand, i kicked off my shoes and clamped them in my hands firmly. It wasn't long till i was jogging down the beach, the sand sinking in between my toes, my mouth opening periodically to take large gulps of fresh brisk air.

All of a sudden my legs hit the water and were battered against with a great force that almost pushed me to the floor beneath. I stood there for what seemed like hours, watching the sunset that was taking place in front of me, leaving the water with a beautiful golden tint.

It wasn't until my sensitive ears picked up movement behind me and i heard a familiar voice greet me that i was pulled back into reality and had to face whatever was trying to communicate with me. My body twisted round to meet the person as my toes shifted about in the sand.

"Hey, are you alright..?" Peeta was standing in front of me, the wind tousling up his golden curls in an attractive way.

"Umm.. Yes? What do you want?" I murmured back, my gaze focused on a group of chatty teenagers approaching us.

"Well.. we were wondering, that's me and my friends, if you would like to hang out with us?" He replied back to me, his eyes catching on a smile at the end.

Before i had a chance to react to his question, the group had already reached our little conversation and started introducing themselves. While i still stood there, the waves lapping up against the back of my legs, the wind flipping my brown hair in all directions, a confused look plastered on my face.

"Hey there Katniss! I'm sure Peeta has already introduced himself to you at school, and took quite a nice liking to you.." A few of the boys snickered. My eyes met his and his cheeks turned a faded pink colour, masking the truth.

A girl stepped forward and decided to take the opportunity to talk into her hands. "Like we were saying, we found you very interesting and would like to make the proposal.." 

"Of marriage!" Another boy added at the end before bursting out into a loud laugh. The girl who had previously been speaking, whose head was laced with vibrant orange hair, smacked his arm and turned back to me and smiled politely.

"Sorry... no, to hand out with us maybe?" Her smile was sweet and innocent, like she had never experienced pain in her life.

I took a moment to consider what this may mean for me before answering with a simple shrug. "Whatever.." I spoke quietly.

Just as i turned to walk away to head home, i felt a hand grab my arm and yank it back softly. I was met by those luscious blue eyes staring down at me. To my guess, the others had turned to go back but he had stayed to get one answer from me.

"Friends?" He whispered in my ear, a smile tugging at the ends of his lips.

I managed to shake my arm out of his grasp and turn away, however not before i came closer to his face, our lips only centimetres apart and whispered back,

"Friends."