Chapter Fifty Six - These Streets

Nab indeed went back to acting all normal after our weird moment and I went back to trying to go through life without Dan.

One week before Christmas, I was packing to spend the holidays with my parents. I had eventually told them it was over, when they kept asking about him over and over. So they urged me to come home for Christmas. They didn't want me to be alone. I was throwing socks at my backpack when I heard a gentle knock on the door. Who could it be? I had told The Bad Ideas I would meet them the next day, they had asked me to play a gig with them and we were doing it, so none of them had any business coming here today. Carlos was home, in Tenerife with his family. My friends from work would've asked before coming.

I dragged my feet to go open the door. A pair of dark blue eyes behind thick spectacles met mine as I did. I almost fell to the floor.

-Daniel! - I interjected.

-Yup, that's the name. - He said, smiling.

Oh shit, no. Not the smile, not the dimples, what? Why?

-Hi, I didn't know you were in town, I...

-Oh I have been for a week now. But every time I walked by these streets, I thought I saw you in every corner, it was kind of driving me mad.

I looked at him confused, then I remembered he lived very close to here, as did his parents. It was actually strange we hadn't run into each other before.

-Ah, sorry, I'm so rude, come in.

He did, taking off his huge red jacket. He had his trademark grey hoodie underneath and his favourite scarf. He looked the same, yet he was so different.

-So... is this about you being ready to be friends again? - I asked.

-Um, yeah... I don't know. I was almost drawn here. Like... all this neighbourhood, it's you. In my mind, you are everywhere, I had to actually really see you, so I could stop imagining bumping into you everyday. That does not make any fucking sense, does it?

I shook my head, a little amused.

-You are so weird.... - I observed.

He laughed out loud, hitting his thigh with his open hand, and having to re-arrange his spectacles.

-I know. Helplessly.

-Can I offer you something to drink? It's cold as damn out there.

-Thanks a lot. - He answered and we walked into the kitchen. It was so weird, this was so familiar yet so new. - Hope I'm not interrupting...

-Nah, I'm just packing to go home for the holidays...

He left the jacket on the settee and stood by me as I grabbed some milk and cocoa to warm in the stove.

-So what's new? -I inquired, trying to sound casual as I actually trembled, feeling the heat that radiated from his body so close to me.

-America is amazing. - He answered.

I smirked. Bleeding America. She had screwed everything up.

-What about you? - He seemed or pretended not to notice my grimace.

-I am no longer an assistant in the College. I'm the teacher now. - I told him, proudly.

-Oh wicked.

-Yeah. Also, I might be going to Australia for a couple of years, to teach art there, too.

-AUSTRALIA?!?

-Uhu. - I assented as if I hadn't noticed the alarm in his voice.

He whistled, but didn't further comment.

-And you've changed your hair colour. - He noticed pointing at my head, I thought he was going to touch it, but he hesitated and withdrew his hand to place it inside his pocket awkwardly.

-I actually just stopped dyeing it. This is my natural colour.

-It's beautiful... - He observed, and I thought I perceived a glimpse of the old days' adoration in his eyes.

I blushed, much to my mortification and nodded quickly.

-Yeah, t-thanks... shall we...? - And I pointed to the door.

He bit his lips and followed me into the dining room, where we drank our cocoa and chatted a bit.

-Are you seeing anyone? - He asked out of the blue.

-Well, that's none of your business. - I snapped.

-True, sorry, that was probably impolite.

He began telling me about the tour and the sales. It had all been crazy, apparently. They were incredibly successful around the globe now.

-We're nominated for the Brits, can you fucking believe it? - He concluded.

-Haha, wow. Amazing, congrats.

I stared into his huge, beautiful eyes. They really had made it. Big time. I was in front of an international music star now. Intimidating. He stared back at me intensely, like when we were recording Bad Blood in Mark's studio. Was life going in circles again?

He then seemed to come back from his reverie and remembered he probably should go, since I still needed to pack stuff and his mother expected him to be at dinner. I walked him to the door.

-It was so good seeing you. - He said, putting on his jacket.

-Yes, you too.

He stood there awkwardly, probably not knowing how to say goodbye. He then hugged me and kissed my forehead.

-Stay cool, Annie. - He whispered.

I nodded, overwhelmed by all the feelings the nearness of him brought to me.

He pulled back then and started walking to the stairs.