Chapter 17

Ruth's Pov

"I lost him" , Rose said sending shock waves throughout my body. What? Ho.. ho.. how?! How could she loose something so precious and valuable? And something that sits completely still in a pram that could pass for a life like doll. But more importantly, WHERE IS HE?!

"He was in the pram and I walked away for a split moment and-", Rose started to break down in tears.

"YOU LEFT HIM?!", Cal got up from his seat and roared.

"It was an accident", she tried to hold back her sobs taking large gulps trying to swallow her emotion, "I swear I wasn't even gone that long", she continued to cry. But I couldn't take it anymore. She lost the most important thing to us all. And she hasn't cried like this since anyone but that Dawson boy.

I know Cal will blow up any second hitting and screaming at her for what she had just done. So I do what I feel is right and walked up to her and slowly put my hands on her shoulders so she wouldn't be scared instead to feel comforted.

"Rose, you need to calm down", I told her as she could not stop crying and blaming herself for Nathan Hockley Jr disappearance. She then did the unthinkable and buried her head in my breasts with her hands wrapped around my waist, not wanting to let go of me as she needed support in her time of need. I looked to Cal as Rose clung onto me. His eyes burned with hatred for her loosing his only heir and child, but they were also a bit softness from seeing her weep in a way he never thought possible.

Over the last few months ever since Titanic sank she was always weeping and crying over Jack Dawson. But now seeing her weep over a child that she bore him, a child that she never had the intention to have, its a complete different story. Jack Dawson or what ever his name is, is irrelevant and a nobody. Nathan Jr may not be able to speak a proper word yet but he is way more important than Roses five day cruise fling.

Cal over looked us trying to hold back his tears for his newborn son that did not return home this evening. He took a step forward but Rose drew herself closer into me. Making me very uncomfortable as she had never been this close to me ever before.

"Rose", he said softly trying to be calm and sweet to her about it. Wanting to talk and know more so he could find him. Instead her cries grew louder not wanting to listen.

"Rose where is he?", I asked. She then went quiet and stopped crying proceeding to clean herself up.

"Where did last see him?", Cal stepped in closer as she looked in his eyes.

"I..I..I", she stumbled in her words from the shock and grief. She then regained herself and spoke, "He was right there! and when I turned he wasn't", she pointed to the stroller, "I searched everywhere Cal!", she told him as he walked away unable to hear her story, "why do you think I came home so late? I looked for him everywhere!", she screamed at him like she did last night when they had a huge fight.

Cal had nothing to say other than to lean up against the fireplace sipping his brandy. He waited to Rose's little rant was over screaming at him for something he did not do or take part of. But the more she cried and rambled on the more frustrated he got of the matter.

"ENOUGH!", his voice boomed sending Roses silent, "it's your fault that you lost our son! Not mine! You think I could stroll around all day like you can? Wasting your pitiless life and time!", he waved his cigar at her dangerously, "And god knows where you go considering you lost him by your actions! Not mine Rose", he came in close to her face.

"Cal this is absurd", I tried fill the gap so he wouldn't get anymore close or possibly even hit Rose.

"No it's not!", he yelled, "you see if anything happens to my son. I'll be blaming the both of you. And you wouldn't like your husbands debts to be revealed Ruth", he snarled at me, "so you better pray that he is found sooner rather than later. Unharmed and ALIVE! Otherwise you don't know what will hit you both", he then turned away and went into a different room while Rose began sobbing again weeping in my ear.

"Oh mother", she weakly hugged me but I pushed her off.

"You better hope Nathan Jr comes home soon Rose. Otherwise he'll both have our heads", I told her plain as day. She knows what will happen. She's knows what will come out. Everything. Every single document will be leaked of our payments , "so get on your knees and start praying", I told her before walking away. That child better be alive after Roses naive behaviour. Otherwise it will be all of her fault. It will be all her fault.

Roses pov

Mother left me standing in the hallway in tears. Cal was already onto the police about him. God I only hope Jack can keep him hidden and safe. I know he can. He is an excellent father. More better than Cal. Something I saw from the first time I laid eyes on him. I then sneakily crept up on Cal and listened to him on the phone around the corner.

"Yes yes", he agreed with the operator.

"He's a one month old baby with red hair, blue eyes and pale skin. He was in his pram sleeping while he was taken" he explained.

"Yes. I want all nearby properties checked and cleared. I will not rest until my son is found. And if you find the person who took him from me. You shall bring them to me and I'll deal with their harsh punishment for stealing valuable property of Calendon Hockley", he hung up. My heart is pounding in my chest so loud that I can hear. What have I done? What have I lead Jack into? What happens if Cal finds them both? I have no doubt what he will do to Jack. He almost got away with it multiple times on Titanic. And if he sees Jack and Jack then everything will never be the same. Everything will be revealed. Every lie I've told. Made up for my and Jack Jr safety. Even my mothers security.

I have to hold this off as long as I can. This is my time. I have all the cards for once. I can choose what to do and when to make my move. Cal is vulnerable without Jack Jr. He's all soft now. You can manipulate him Rose. Same with your mother. Jack Jr is the 'Hockley heir' and you're his mother. You control him. And right now you control this situation. Your plan is to stall the wedding for as possible until Jack is ready. And it better be soon.