Grinning at the prospect of a hot meal and some cold ale, Art dismounted and searched for a decent spot in the communal stables. He fully enjoyed the activity in the streets. Charlotte had to remind him on several occasions not to spend the money that Wren had given him on trivial things.

"Wren trusts you to follow his orders. Don't ruin it by acting like a spoiled child."

She almost literally swallowed her last words when her eyes fell on a basket of delicious looking strawberries. They were her absolute favorite and it had been ages since she had them last.

"Please, Art", she begged him. "I'll let you buy anything you want."

He smirked, already knowing the thing he wanted most.

Sitting in a secluded spot, basking in the afternoon sun, Charlotte enjoyed her strawberries.

"Do you think he'll like it?"

She looked down at the small flat pearl colored seashell in Arts hand. It was beautiful.

"I think it goes well with the rest of his collection."

Art had been giving Alexi seashells for his birthday since as long as she could remember. Though she never really understood why, it had grown to be a bit of a tradition.

"Do you remember the summer we spend visiting his uncle Nicolai and we went to the beach? That's when I gave Alexi his first shell."

"You were only three, right?" She smiled, recalling the delighted expression on the young Princes face. "He showed it to everyone like it was a precious jewel."

Arts expression fell.

"I wish we could go back to those days. Life was just so simple then."

"Don't be sad. Alexi found his soulmate and I'm sure that Wren is doing his best too. We are here because he wants to help you", she reminded him.

"You make me feel guilty when you put it like that", Art said shaking his head. "If things go wrong for Alexi then we are wasting valuable time."

In that moment he decided that he could yield to Wren if that is what it took to protect Alexi. Standing from his comfortable spot he felt resolved in his new found mission.

"Are you no longer worried about being dominated or getting pregnant?" Charlotte asked.

Art grimaced. 'Revealing to his mate that he was a breeder would mean an extra blow to his already battered pride, but it had to be done. Maybe Wren knew of a way to mate without knocking him up.'

"First things first", Art said making his way to the tavern. "If Wren is successful in obtaining the heat reducing potion, then all this can wait."

"And if not?" Charlotte pushed.

"If not, then I will come clean to Wren about the whole situation", he promised.

"Well, isn't this an unexpected pleasure."

Art turned around and almost cried with relief.

"You don't know how glad I am to see you, Darren."

The man laughed.

"It's good to see you too, but I honestly didn't expect we'd meet again so soon. Come let me buy you a drink."

"I think it's official now. I have the slowest horse in the Kingdom", Darren said after hearing Arts activity since last they met. "I took off only a few hours after you left and arrived not so long ago."

He took a sip from his lukewarm ale.

"Or maybe I'm right where I need to be, because I think I can help you."

Emerald eyes lit up.

"Really?"

Darren nodded.

"But I think we should continue in a more private setting."

Charlotte raised her eyebrows.

"Is the information that delicate?" Art asked leaning closer to the man.

A small smile appeared.

"You're not the only one who's overwhelmed by current events. I need to let my mind roam free and uninterrupted."

Art arranged for their food to be served in a backroom and waited with baited breath for Wrens arrival.

His heart skipped a beat when he saw his handsome mate enter the room. A look of pure lust caught him off guard and he knew that Wren felt his response through their bond.

Art heard the surprised gasp of Charlotte when the news hit him.

"The shop was closed."

It felt like damning words.

"You promised!" Charlotte said sternly.

He turned to Darren who shook his head.

"I thought you'd grasped the concept of 'meant to be' by now."

Arts mouth fell open.

"So everything is against me. All this pre-determined crap is preventing me from making my own choices."

"Quite the contrary", he heard Darren say. "The Goddess is providing you with a solid base, because so much of the future relies on your judgement."

"Me?" Art repeated with genuine surprise. "The future relies on my judgement?"

"Of course, you silly boy", Darren laughed. "Did you think that these things happen to just anybody?"   

His eyes landed on Wren.

"It pains me to see how you seem to resist the connection between you. Is it really that important who places the mark? You are made to be equals in this mating. If you cannot resolve this issue then the Prince you love so much will suffer the consequences."

He stood from his seat.

"I'll arrange for a faster horse and will then retire for the night. I suggest you talk and address all your issues before we set off tomorrow."

Once he left the room, the smirk on Wrens face became bigger.

"Seems like well be needing a room."

Art stared at his intended bedmate and wondered if Wren fully understood the words that Darren had said.

'So who cared about the mark if they could be equals? And apparently he did have a say in the matter.'

Suppressing a smile he nodded.

"If you think thats best."

'Wren may think that he knew the outcome of this battle, but he would have another thing coming to him', Art thought when he followed him up the stairs.