Seventeen - A Long Awaited Meeting

Finn lays on the floor, groaning. He lets out a cough and struggled to rise. Shards of glassy material fall off him. Blinking his eyes, he looks up to take in the sight before him.

The Core has been completely destroyed. The console platform is melted, sparking from wires as it hangs from the shattered remains of the central pillar.

He smiles. Phamsa crashes into him.

"You think things can be different just because you said a few nice words!?" She punches him across the face. "You think we can stop being enemies just like that?"

Finn tries to kick her off, but Phasma jabs him in the gut. Finn wheezes from the blow.

"We can't! And this proves that!"

Phasma sweeps a hand towards the destroyed Core. Before Finn can form a reply she drives a knee into his chest. While lies back, gasping, she pulls a knife out of her belt.

"This is war! It doesn't end until one of us is dead!"

She raises the knife.

"You forgot something..." Finn gets out.

"What!?" Phasma hisses.

"The wookiee."

Phasma whirls around just in time for Chewbacca to drag her off Finn. He lifts her up over his head, then smashes her onto the floor. Slowly, Phasma tries to rise. Chewbacca picks her up, and throws her back down again. She doesn't rise this time.

"The damned wookiee again..." She moans.

Finn, catching his breath rises to his feet.

"Thanks Chewie." Finn says.

Chewbacca growls, nods back. They turn to walk back out the chamber, but Finn spares Phasma one more look.

"Think about what I said, Phasma. This doesn't have to end with one side destroying the other. Do you really want the rest of the stormtroopers to die?"

"...they won't die if we win." Phasma says eventually.

"If you win." Finn says, nodding to the destroyed Core.

"Shut up." She says looking up."Don't act like you care about them, when your hands are red with their blood You don't care, traitor! You're nothing but scum!"

Finn pauses. Then after a moment, he smiles.

"We're stormtroopers, Phasma. We're all scum."

Then Finn turns and leaves Phasma behind.

***

The moment Finn steps back out into the hallway, Rey is dashing towards him.

"Finn! Are you alright?" She skids to a stop just in front of him. "Did you take care of the Core!?"

"It's done." He nods. "And I'm fine."

She smiles. He smiles back

"-Good, then let's get off this ship." Lorn breaks in, limping over.

"Yeah..." Rey's gaze drifts over to Ador Ren, lying prone. ...but first there's something I need to do."

"...he dead?" Lorn asks.

"I don't know."

She strides down the hall, towards the fallen knight. Lorn and Finn share a look then follow her. Chewbacca stays with R2-D2 and stands guard. Ador Ren lays on the floor, motionless. Rey nudges him with her boot. He groans, and cracks an eyes. Rey crouches down, hovering just above him. Ador sits bolt upright, eyes widening with fear.