Eight - A Distraction Called Sight

Start from the beginning

Rey bites her lip, and looks away.

"Do you know something Rey?" Finn asks.

"I think...he wants me to join him. Or...help him or...I don't know. I'm not sure he knows. Look Finn, I just...I'm just glad your alive."

Finn starts to say something but she cuts him off.

"Hold on." She says, turning to look at something out of view. There is a distant, unintelligible voice.

"I'll be there in a second!" She turns back to Finn. "I've got to go. Jedi training."

"Alright, see you later, then." Finn gives her one last smile.

"I'll talk again when I can. Bye."

The comm clicks off. Finn is left again in darkness. Eventually, he sighs, gets back up, and walks out of the room.

***

Ahch-to

Luke and Chewbacca stand on a flat circle where the island's grass has been cleared away. Both watch as Rey runs up from the Falcon parked below.

"Done talking to your stormtrooper buddy?" Luke asks.

"He's not a stormtrooper...anymore."

Luke only grunts in reply. "Well, now that you're here I think it's time you learned how to defend yourself."

"I already know how to defend myself." Rey says with definance.

"Not like a Jedi."

"Does that mean you're gonna show me how to use a lightsaber?" Rey asks.

"No." Luke says firmly. "It's too early for that."

Rey pouts.

Luke sighs. "Lightsabers are among the most dangerous weapons ever to wield. If you don't know what you're doing you can easily lose a hand." Luke raises his prothstetic hand for emphasis.

"So what are we doing?" Rey asks.

Luke motioned towards Chewbacca. "Chewie, if you would."

Chewbacca is holding a pair of carved wooden sticks. He throws one to Rey. She catches it, looking confused.

"What's this?" She asks.

"A practice blade." Luke explains.

"What do I need a practice blade for?"

"Sparring." Luke takes the other blade from Chewbacca.

"You're gonna spar with me?" Rey asks, surprised.

"I am." Luke says, swinging the wooden saber, experimentally.

"But aren't you..." Rey's voice trails off.

"Old? Out of practice? Cut off from the force?" Luke offers.

Rey shrugs. Luke chuckles.

"Then it should be easy to beat me."

Luke smiles confidently, and extends the blade out towards Rey. She looks uncertain.

"What's wrong? Scared of an old man?"

Rey sets her jaw, and shakes her head.

"Good."

Chewbacca steps outside the circle, and Rey and Luke are left facing each other.

Rey raises her wooden blade, taking a step forward. Luke shifts his stance, crouching slightly, and holding his blade in a guard. Rey, hesitantly takes another step forward. Luke makes no move.