Seven - The Battle of Canto Bight

Start from the beginning

Both the stormtroopers and the Resistance soldiers rush to cover. Kylo charges at the soldiers, as blaster bolts streak past. One of the soldiers starts to throw a grenade, but Kylo flicks his hand. The soldier's arm snaps. The man yells in pain, and the grenade drops to the ground. It explodes a moment later, blowing up half the Resistance soldiers. Kylo rushes the remaining ones, deflecting blaster bolts as he closes the distance. He stabs the first one in the chest, and cuts the head off another. The final soldier still alive, drops his blaster and runs. Kylo pulls back his lightsaber and throws it. The red blade sails through the air, and pierces the soldier in the back. The soldier stumbles a few more steps, then stops and stares at the lightsaber burning a hole in his chest. Kylo motions with his hand, and the lightsaber flys back into his hand. The soldier crumples.

Kylo deactivates the lightsaber and turns around. Two more of the stormtroopers were hit in the firefight. Only two remain. They move over to the one trooper that is still moving. There is a charred hole in the gut of the trooper's armor. He lets out a muffled groan of pain.

"He going to make it?" Kylo asks.

"No." One of the stormtroopers says.

"Put him out of his misery then." Kylo says.

"I...yes sir." The trooper then shoots the injured trooper in the head.

Kylo turns away.

"Let's keep moving, then."

***

A group of civilians huddles behind the rubble of a wall, stormtroopers blasting at the other side. The bolts strike chunks debris off the wall, whittling it down bit by bit. The civilians hunker down further, their faces masks of fear, but nowhere else to turn to. The stormtroopers march forward, with a steady stream of fire. Suddenly, a round sphere lands on the ground in the middle of them.

"Grenade!" one shouts.

The stormtroopers scramble as the sphere explodes. Troopers go flying, dust and debris spraying the street.

The stormtroopers are struggling to gain their bearings, when Lorn charges in, flanked by Resistance soldiers. With a pair of hand blasters, Lorn fires pinpoint shots, putting down a stormtrooper with every pull of the trigger. The Resistance soldiers open fire as well, and together they take out all but one of the remaining stormtroopers. That last trooper managed to dive behind the debris the civilians are hiding behind. Lorn raises her gun, but the trooper hauls up a civilian woman in front of him.

"Don't any of you move!" The trooper says, gun at the woman's temple. "Or I won't hesitate to-"

Lorn shoots the trooper in the head, killing him instantly.The woman stumbles away, sobbing. Lorn scoffs and holsters her blasters. A civilian man rushes up and hugs the sobbing woman. She cries into his shoulder.

"Someone get the medics," Lorn says, after looking down at the civilians.

Finn and Rose run past the Resistance soldiers. They get their first look at the civilians. Many are injured, all dirty from dust and debris. Finn looks over  before his eyes finally settle on the dead stormtrooper, a charred hole in its helmet. Finn shivers and turns away. Rose runs over to a girl bleeding from the arm, and crouches down next to her. The girl is clutching her wound, crying. Finn crouches down beside as Rose addresses the girl.

"What's your name?" Rose asks as she opens her medkit.

"L-Lyna." The girl gets out.

"Where's your parents Lyna?" Rose pulls a device out of the kit.

"M-mommy said to run, a-and to not look back." The girl says, staring at the device.

Rose and Finn share a look. Then Rose turns back to the girl and smiles weakly.