"Where is he?" Hux asks one of his officers.

"It seems he got caught up in some kind of skirmish just before they were about to jump to hyperspace."

Hux frowns. "Just how long does he expect us to wait?"

"Unclear. However, he did say that starting without him would yield 'unfortunate results'."

Hux grits his teeth. "I will not be kept waiting by some has-been, old empire admiral! We attack now! Prepare for assault!"

"Yes, sir." The officer says.

"Battle stations!" Hux bellows.

On the bridge, officers dash to consoles. Outside, TIE fighters take off, aligning into battle-formations in front of the destroyers. The fleet makes its approach on the planet. A few dozen smaller fighters along with a handful of larger cruisers shoot up from the planet's surface to meet them.

"Is that all they can muster to resist us?" Hux says. "A few outdated ships? This shouldn't take long. Blast them out of the sky!"

The Finalizer's massive artillery cannons begin to fire upon the defending ships. The ships are torn to shreds with ease. Half are decimated in seconds. Hux smiles.

"And to think that old-" Hux starts to say.

"Sir!" An officer interrupts.

He turns angrily. "What is it?"

"There's something wrong with those ships. Not only are they not attempting evasive maneuvers, but they aren't firing back either!"

Hux turns back, concern on his face. The ships are being destroyed without any attempt to defend.

"Sir, ships incoming!" Another officer shouts.

"What!?" Hux exclaims

A small fleet of Resistance ships jump out of hyperspace behind the First Order fleet. They open fire. Laserfire smashes into the destroyers. X-wings zoom in, destroying turrets and TIE fighters with ease. The frigates and corvettes of the resistance continue a steady stream of fire on the star destroyers, battering their shields. A group of X-wings race along the side of the Finalizer and launch proton torpedoes into the ship's engines. The Finalizer's bridge is rocked by the resulting explosion.

"Our engines are taking heavy damage!" An officer cries.

"Where the hell are my TIE fighters!?"

"They're occupied with an X-wing!"

"An X-wing? As in one!?" Hux says with disbelief.

Just outside the bridge we see a black-painted X-wing blast three TIE fighters in quick succession. Hux looks on in shock, as the X-wing fires a proton torpedo at the bridge. There's an explosion and the bridge trembles, but is otherwise unharmed. Hux's eyes burn with fury.

***

"Yeah! That feel good!?" Poe Dameron shouts in cockpit of his X-wing

BB-8 releases a series of triumphant beeps.

"You said it buddy!"

"Squadron leader! We need assistance, the TIE fighters are starting to focus back on us!"

"That's a mistake." Poe says. He throttles the engine and zooms over to where the fighters are attacking the Finalizer's engines. The TIEs are swarming the few X-wings. Several TIE fighters are blasted, but just as many X-wings meet the same fate. Poe drops into a spin, blasting half-a-dozen TIEs into oblivion. Several TIEs jump on his tail, but he slams the inertial dampeners and as the TIES race past, he blasts them too. He cuts his way to the engines.