T w e n t y N i n e

Two days later, the uncanny couple were entering a jewelry store in midtown Manhattan.

It was fairly warm outside so Sloane wore a pair of loose fitting blue jeans and a black short sleeve with one of Steve's zip-up jackets pulled over her shoulders.

She clung to Steve's side as they entered the store. One of Sloane's arms wrapped tightly around one of his and her opposite hand held his hand.

Steve noticed her odd behavior but said nothing about it. He wasn't sure if she was doing it to show him that she was serious or if she was uncomfortable with the current environment she was put in.

He also didn't mind how close she was. Within the past couple days, Sloane had cuddled him a little more in bed and let him hold her when they were at the Tower in front of everyone else. Steve liked this sort of thing and admired her for the simple acts.

The store was oddly packed with customers here and there. Some were just standing around chatting to other customers, a few to jewelers, and others were leaning over the counter, examining the expensive items cases.

"So what are you thinking?" Steve asked her softly as they squeezed between a group of people.

"That my ability to function in a civilian environment needs to have some work."

"You're doing great." Steve gave her a soft kiss to the temple. "What kind of ring do you want?" Sloane giggled, apparently finding something he had said funny. "What?"

She shook her head, turning to hide her face in his large bicep. Steve smiled uncontrollably at the sight of her smile.

"Come on. What's so funny?"

"I just think I'm funny." Sloane told him. "You pick. I don't want to spend all your money."

"You don't worry about spending my money." Steve gently squeezed her hand. "If you want something big and flashy, then that's what we can get."

"I want that if I can make it all the way." Sloane came to a stop and he turned to face her. "If.... If I make it to the final step.... to marriage, then I want big and flashy."

"Okay." Steve's cheeks were beginning to hurt as he looked down at her. "That sounds like a great idea."

Sloane nodded her head and started to moved towards one of the cases.

As they were peering through, she would squeeze his hand occasionally and take soft but deep breaths.

"Is something wrong?" Steve whispered to her, turning his attention to her face as she continued to stare at the rings under the glass.

"I'm-I just-I have such bad habits." She began to chew on her bottom lip as she turned to face him. Sloane's brows knitted together and she squeezed her eyes shut. "I won't steal anything. I promise. I promise."

"Sloane, you're going to get us into trouble." Steve glanced around to see if anyone had heard her.

"I'm not going to do anything!" She assured him. "That's why I'm breathing funny. That's what you're suppose to do, right? When you want to correct bad behavior?"

Steve looked at her for a few moments before kissing her forehead.

"We'll work on that a little more, sweetheart. But you're doing great. Thank you so much for trying."

Sloane felt a warmth spread from her chest at his happy-filled tone. She was making him happy. She was doing something right.

This was working. They were working.

•*•*•

"Look who it is." Sam's words directed everyone's attention to Sloane and Steve, who were exiting the elevator together.