O n e

Laughter erupted at the table as Tony said something in an attempt to amuse the rich people and Avengers sitting around him. Across from the Iron Man sat the Widow, smiling softly as she sipped on her wine.

Her emerald green eyes fell on Steve, who was right beside her.

"You're being awfully quiet, Rogers. Are you enjoying the night?"

"It's okay." He gave her a light shrug of his broad shoulders.

"This isn't his type of party." Sam spoke from his place on the other side of Steve.

"It's not my favorite either but we've gotta play nice with these guys." Natasha spoke under her breath as her eyes glided around the large table filled with the Avengers and important political figures from around the world.

A waitress slipped between Steve and Natasha to pick up Natasha's empty wine glass. However, as the waitress was moving away, she dropped something into Steve's lap.

He brought his brows together and picked up the object. It was a napkin. Casting a quick glance in the waitress's direction, Steve couldn't see her anymore.

The napkin was folded once but it fell open to reveal scratchy written ink.

'Get them out before the bad ones come.'

"What's that?" Natasha questioned, leaning over to try to read the note.

"I'll be back." Steve rose up from his chair as he stuffed the napkin into his black jacket.

"Whatever you do, don't cause a scene." She warned him.

"Do you need backup?" Sam asked as he began to stand up.

"No. You stay here. I'll be right back." Steve assured his friend before going towards the back where the restaurant workers were coming from.

When the waitress had come over, Steve didn't get a good look at her. It was possible she had dark hair, but it was also possible her hair was light brown. However, he remembered seeing a shell bracelet on the waitress's wrist as she reached to retrieve Natasha's glass.

As waitresses passed Steve, he looked for the shell bracelet on them, but he didn't find it on a waitress. The bracelet was on a woman passing him and heading for the exit.

Steve quickly looked to the table he had come from and noticed Thor was now watching him with a questioning look. Steve shook his head just slightly and moved to follow the woman out of the restaurant.

"Miss?" He called to the woman, yet he received no reply. "Ma'am? Excuse me?"

The woman turned halfway to face him. Her thick, wavy, dark hair blew into her face due to the light gust of wind.

"Can I help you?" She asked him, brushing her hair out of her face.

"What does the note mean?" Steve pulled the napkin out. "I know you're the one who gave it to me. What does it mean?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You work inside that place right?" He pointed to the restaurant.

"No, I don't."

"You are the one who gave me this though." Steve held the napkin out to show her. "I know it was you. What does it mean?"

"Sometimes when someone gives you advise, take it and run. Don't ask questions." The woman gave him a crazy, beautiful smile. "You might want to get back to your friends, Captain. They're going to need you soon if you don't leave quick."