T w e n t y S e v e n

A heavy knock on the door made Steve look away from Sloane, who was adamant on keeping her back to him. He stood up and moved towards the door.

Sloane turned her back to the door and pushed the blankets off of her that Steve had covered her with.

"Thanks for takin your time answering the door." Bucky muttered as he entered the room and looked around. He spotted Sloane laying on one side of the bed, her back to him and one leg bent. Unsure if she was asleep or not, Bucky began to speak in French to Steve. "Has she done anything since I called?"

"Just turned over a few times." Steve replied, crossing his arms as he leaned against one of the dressers in the room. "She won't talk or even look at me."

"I can understand enough of whatever it is your speaking to know what your saying." Sloane spoke without looking to either of the men. Her knowledge of languages other than English was broad, however she could not fully speak or understand most of the languages she knew.

"I brought pizza, kid." Bucky said as he placed the two boxes on the table rather harshly. He knew she wouldn't want his pity. He was probably the last person she would ever want to act nice to her.

"M'not hungry."

"Well it's a good thing I don't care. I paid good money for these so get over here and get some."

"Are you going to make me?" Sloane challenged, still keeping her back to them.

"I might. I still owe you a few ass beatings."

Steve was mentally yelling at Bucky in his head. He thought that Bucky was being too harsh with Sloane. Surely she didn't need him threatening to kick her ass.

However the Winter Soldier's tactics proved that Bucky knew what he was doing. Sloane pushed herself into a sitting position and stared at her pillows. Steve held his breath for a few seconds as he watched her stand up and move around the bed.

Sloane bypassed Steve and went to where Bucky stood at the small table in the room. Bucky watched her as she pulled out a piece of pizza then looked up at him through her lashes. No words were spoken between the two as she returned her her side of the bed.

"Your phone's been going off all day, Sloane." Steve reminded her. "King T'Challa is trying to get ahold of you. He's in New York now."

"I'm not going back to New York right now." Sloane tucked her feet under herself and took a bite of pizza.

"I understand." He nodded his head gently, absentmindedly scratching the back of his head. "Mia's funeral is in less than a week."

"That has nothing to do with it, Steve. I have things I've got to do."

He refrained from sighing out and instead, crossed his arms.

"Revenge isn't the best thing to think about right, Sloane. You need to-,"

"I need to what? Talk about my feelings? Talk about how what I saw probably scarred me for the rest of my life? I mean, I freaking went through this when I met you with my brother and I didn't need you then. I sure as hell don't need you now."

Steve knew she was angry. She didn't mean any of what was just spoken.

"You're angry, I get it."