{21}

Hyunji's P.O.V

I gazed into my warm cup of tea, watching the steam build. My legs still stung from the cuts, but they had been mended to since last night. Some cuts were in need of stitches, so thanks to my mom's job as a nurse, she was able to sew my skin together.

Even though the sun was bright, nothing could stop the atmosphere from falling cold and silent. There was no happy vibe in the room.

Everone sat around the kitchen table with nothing to say, still wearing our sleep clothes. Including Ten, who joined us. After we made it home last night, no one would go home alone, so they stayed for another night. Except for one who left an empty chair near the end of the table.

Everyone's parents were furious and scared to death, of course. However, they wouldn't believe any of us that a ghost caused all this.

The distant screams could be heard all over the barn. Everyone hushed and filtered to the back room. Haechan put me down, but still had his arm wrapped around me. Jueun was bent over Chenle's still body. Blood soaked both of their clothes.

Jueun's voice cracked as she cried out to Chenle.

It wouldn't work.

Thanks to Johnny, an ambulance was on its way, but there was no hope in any of us. We all cried that night.

A nervous tapping came from in front of me. I looked to Jueun, who couldn't sit still. Her eyes still wore a red tint while the skin around them was raw from rubbing them. Her hand slammed against the table as she abruptly stood from her seat.

"Dammit!" she cursed. Sympathetic eyes followed her. "It's not fair!"

The few seconds of silence after that was the most painful so far. The way her yells of despair ended with not a sound. The thing to break it was a knock on the door.

"My mom is probably home," I whispered, slowly scouting the chair out from the table.

I was better on my feet now than last night, but I still traced the walls with my hand for support. I gripped the door handle and weakly opened it.

I drew in a sharp breath.

"Did you miss me?"

Chenle cocked his head to the side, smiling so brightly. Two crutches supported him on either side. Where his hand poked out from his baggy sweatshirt, I could see bandages wrapped over his palms.

Loud footsteps stampeded into the front hallway. A pair of feet continued after everyone else had stopped. It was Jueun, flinging herself towards the boy. Her arms clung to Chenle like velcro. She peppered quick kisses on both his cheeks.

Chenle let out a couple squeals of his signature dolphin laughs. "Be careful." He gently pushed Jueun and lifted the side of his sweatshirt. A huge white brace was covering his torso. "I'm still a little sore."

"I can't believe you're alive," Jueun breathed. I think it was the first time she could since last night.

Chenle couldn't stop smiling at her reaction. "The doctors told me I was on the verge of death. I wasn't conscious when I arrived, but they did everything they could to pull me back."

"Those doctors derve a damn trophy or something!" Jueun exclaimed, finally grinning as well.

Everone came forward to greet Chenle by giving him careful hugs are friendly pats on the shoulder.

"Hey, Jeno," I heard Mark start. I followed his gaze to see Jeno and Renjuns hands intwined together. "Care to explain?"

"We're just happy that Chenle-" Jeno started, but Renjun cut him off.

"We made-out in the maze last night."

Jeno gave Renjun a diluted kick to the leg.

"Oh, so the fortune cookie was right," Hana added while nodding. "I'm glad all of you are so happy being with people you like." I caught the feeling of a hint in her tone. My eyes shifted to Jisung, who didn't seem to catch it.

"Jisung," I called for his attention. "Can you and Hana go make the beds upstairs?"

"Why do we need to make the beds? And why Hana and not y-"

"Don't question me," I ordered. "I'm older than you."

Jisung huffed, starting for the stairs. Hana slowly followed.

Hana's P.O.V

Jisung turned to disappear in his room. I debated whether I should speak up or not. My feet scuffed the carpet before I finally decided.

"Jisung."

"Hm?" Jiung hummed, turning to my direction.

"How come you pretended to be my boyfriend when that creep was flirting with me?"

Jisung shrugged his shoulders. "I was just helping you."

I nodded, feeling a surge of disappointment. My body turned away so I could complete Hyunji's request.

"Plus it's nice to think about," Jisung finished.

I swear my heart jumped over itself.

"Are you a magician?" I asked him, a smirk tugging at my mouth.

"What? No?"

"Because whenever I see you, everyone else disappears."

Jisung let out a short laugh. "W-why?"

I turned towards Jisung. "Please call an ambulance, your beauty is killing!"

Jisung covered his mouth to hid his smile. "What are you doing? Stop."

"Your eyes are like the ocean, and dang I'm lost at sea."

"Hana, my eyes are dark brown."

"Stop, drop, and roll... because you're on fire."

"What is this?" Jisung was dying of laughter at this point.

I sighed, taking a step to Jisung. "Please just ask me out already."

The laughing came to a holt. Both of our expressions were blank. It was such a change in atmosphere. It was a good ten seconds before Jisung spoke up.

"If you were a burger from Burger King, you'd be the McGorgeous," Jisung quickly told me.

"Jisung... that's McDonald's."

Jisung hesitated, realizing his mistake. "Wait, no I messed it up."

It was my turn to laugh. "I appreciate the effort." My cheeks began to heat up.

"I guess I could always make up for it by taking you out somewhere?"

"To McDonald's?"

"Only if I can order you from the menu."

There goes my heart.

(A/N): I lied, there's one more chapter after this one.