Lexa and Costia : Meeting You

Lexa's POV

It's a cold day today, and the wind is blowing, whipping my hair into my face and stealing the breath from my lungs. The force of it threatens to knock me over. It must be pretty windy. Because I'm a strong warrior who can and will kill anyone who semi-disagrees with me.

At least i used to be, she changed me. I mean i was Anya's second, she was my mentor, and she taught me everything i know. But it was Costia who changed me.

I was ten, training for the conclave, because I have special blood. It's black, and because my blood is different, it means that my life is very different. From a young age i was taken away from my family to train to compete to become the next commander.

Since the day i was born, my whole life had been decided for me, and i am sick of it. I just wanted one day to myself, to do whatever the hell i want.

That's why i decided to dress like a non-nightblood and sneak into the normal kids school. I've heard rumors of it, growing up, isolated in a boarding school with the others like me.

Anya had reluctantly agreed to this plan, and she had gotten me some normal clothes. I'm so excited to get to be 'normal' for a day, that my hands shake when i slip them on. I look at myself in the mirror, and toss my long brown hair over my shoulder. Perfect.

I head out the door, adrenaline and apprehension flooding through me. I bounce on my toes and shake out my hands. I am ready. I tell myself, in one way or another i have been waiting for this moment my whole life.

I had no idea that this decision would change the course of my entire life.

I join the crowd of kids walking into the school building. I expect someone to recognize me, to start yelling that I shouldn't be here, that I don't belong. But no one does. It's like I'm invisible. Which is great, but it kinda makes my chest ache.

I'm used to being special, here i am just one of many. Invisible.

I follow a group of girls that are my age, trying to act casual. They are whispering and laughing, and a blond haired girl catches my eye, her eyes meet mine as she laughs at something her friend said.

I couldn't take my eyes away, she smiles at me and turns back to her friends and i shake it off. Weird.

Someone taps me on the shoulder and my heart nearly leaps out of my chest. "Geez Tris, you scared me!" I say, startled. She grins, "Yeah that was kinda my objective." She quips and i glare at her. Tris is Anya's little sister, i consider her my sister too.

"Remember you have to pretend that you don't know me! If someone finds out that i'm-" i start, but Tris cuts me off, "Relax, no one will even notice. They are all too caught up in their own lives."

She's got a point, but still. I tuck my hair behind my ear, and whisper, "I just want this to work, i want just one day to be normal."

"Yeah, yeah, you might want to go into class instead of standing alone in the hallway, if you want to fit in." She says and runs off to find her classroom.

Crap. I manage to slip in behind the last kid, barely making it through the door as it closes, and i take a seat. There aren't many left, and the one i happen to pick is right next to the blond girl who smiled at me earlier.

Flustered, i half wave, and she flashes a quick smile in return. My cheeks turn bright red. No one waves anymore. The blond doesn't seem to notice my oddities though, or maybe she just doesn't care.

Maybe we were meant to be.