Chapter 28: Perfect Places

Songs: 

Homemade Dynamite- Lorde, Khalid, Post Malone, SZA

Perfect Places- Lorde 

Love lies- Khalid and Normani

--

Chase

Megan talks a lot.

A lot more than I expected her to talk. I noticed it as soon as we got together but it didn't really bother me. But then Sonia walked out on her. And now she's talking ten times more than usual.

Honestly, if the things she talked about were more interesting than why Adrien and her boyfriend broke up last summer, it wouldn't bother me. But no, Adrien and her boyfriend's relationship status seems to be the only thing Megan wants to zone in on.

"Yeah, and it's so stupid because you'd think she'd back off but she didn't," Megan says as she takes a bite of her salad.

I zone in on a small bug sitting on the cafeteria table in front of me. It's so tiny, it looks like a dot rather than an insect but I've been tracking its movement. It's walked from one corner of the table and is slowly on its way to the other side. "Wow."

"And then she tells Adrien that she slept with her boyfriend and Adrian loses her mind of course," Megan continues.

"That's crazy." I root for the tiny bug, it's persistent as it continues to trek for a distance that must seem like miles when you're less than an inch tall.

"She's such a bitch." A few of her cheerleading friends sitting around us agree.

"Right!?" Megan exclaims. "That's what I said." She scoffs.

We don't usually sit with the cheerleaders because Megan knows their plastic personalities make me want to jump in front of a moving train. Megan used to take my feelings into consideration.

But that changed when Sonia quit cheerleading and stopped sitting with them at lunch. I tried to call Sonia and get her to make up with Megan but she hasn't been picking up her phone. We've all been on the lookout for her but no one's really seen her down the halls and she never shows up to bio anymore- the class we all have together.

I'm worried about her but there's nothing I can do if I can't talk to her. The biggest downside to this entire thing is... I know how bad it's affecting Megan. She's trying her best to act like this doesn't phase her but she didn't want Sonia to leave. She won't admit it but she loves Sonia. We all do. Our whole group has a weird dynamic that I can't explain. We act like we hate each other most of the time and you won't see us all sitting together but we do care about each other. And when it all comes down to it, if any of us were really in danger, we'd bring out all the stops to protect that person.

I frown while staring at Megan as she continues to talk to the other cheerleaders about some stupid gossip.Another thing I've noticed about Megan; she has an on and off switch. Whenever she's around her cheerleader friends, it turns on and whenever she and I are alone, it turns off. She starts talking about things she never used to talk about when we were younger.

It's not like our conversations were about global warming and politics when we were little. No. They weren't deep or philosophical but they were...fun and light-hearted

Now, she only seems to want to talk about something if it involves trash talking another person. The issue with this is: This is the first relationship I've had that didn't include a heap load of sex and if the girl I'm dating isn't making one of my body parts happy, you'd think she'd be able to make another body part happy. But that's not what's happening. What's happening is none of my body parts are happy.