Chapter Eleven

The party was at Daniel Arlington’s spacious abode.

“Sage said that they’d be here a little later.” Sadie murmured, stepping out of Adam’s car and onto the well-manicured lawn. Looking over at her boyfriend, she said, “I feel like in real life and in movies the parties are always thrown at expensive looking houses.”

Adam just shrugged. “More space, I guess.”

It made sense so Sadie nodded her head. Adam had been acting strange all night and Sadie really wanted to know why. Her earlier kiss with Logan flashed through her mind for the hundredth time that night, but this time Sadie focused on what had been said before. Had Adam really told Logan to stay away from her? I don’t know how I feel about that. She snapped out of her stupor when she felt her foot collided with the brick steps leading to the front door. Strong arms, that used to feel protective, wrapped around her to catch her from tripping completely. She looked up and met Adam’s strangely blank brown eyes. He was usually so easy to read. “Sorry.” She murmured, looking away. She couldn’t take the intensity that they held.

“It’s fine.” He muttered, his voice husky and unrecognizable. Sadie slipped out of his arms and straightened her shirt.

“Are you ready to head inside?” She timidly asked. He was definitely acting strange. A lot stranger than she would have ever thought.

“Yeah, let’s go.” He said, his voice back to normal. He reached over and grabbed her hand, intertwining their fingers. It felt off to Sadie. It wasn’t like it normally was. This felt territorial, restrictive, even predatory. He pushed through the door and the wall of music hit Sadie, stopping her. Adam turned, annoyance etched on his facial features. He gave her a slight tug and she obliged. Geez, what’s wrong with him?

***

“Please don’t do anything that could potentially make mom and dad wring my neck.” Logan pleaded with Mackenzie.

His little sister smirked from beside him. “You mean other than taking me to a party where there will be drinking and probably drugs?”

He gripped the steering wheel tighter. “Now is not the time to remind me of my stupid actions.” He retorted through this clenched jaw.

“Chillax. I’ll behave.” Mackenzie sighed, rolling her eyes. Why does my sister have to be such a brat sometime?

Logan finally relaxed once he saw the Arlingtons’ sprawling estate swim into view. On a normal day, the property would sport its burbling fountain, well landscaped grounds, and sprawling main house, and it’s not like today was any different. However, tonight the lawn was littered with empty bottles and cups, a group of people were on the large porch smoking, and it looked like the bass was turned up loud enough to shatter the 210 year old windows.

Once they were parked, he glanced over at his fourteen-year-old sister. She was bouncing up and down excitedly. He grinned sometimes Mack was too much like their mother, cold, and detached from life. Except Mack was more of the brooding type. It was good seeing her out of her shell.