Chapter Five

After the party, Adam and Sadie sought refuge at Dan's Diner where they discussed anything they could think about that they would talk about.

“If you're not really into the partying scene, then what the hell were you doing at that party?” Adam looked over at Sadie from across their two strawberry milkshakes and large shared order of chili-cheese fries.

Willie thought that I needed to celebrate my heroism and to take a break from decorating my room.” She dragged the purple crayon around the back of a kiddie menu that she had asked their waitress, Suzy, for. Sadie laughed as she gave the stick girl in her artistic-creation hair. Sadie was planning on hanging it up on the bulletin board reserved for drawings on kid menus labeled “Kiddie Creations”.

“That's a, um, very intense drawing.” Adam peered over the red plastic basket covered with red plaid parchment paper holding the golden-brown fries. “Very Warhol-esque, I think.” He screwed up his face in a goofy expression.

“Really? I'll add more yellows and reds and make it Lichtenstein-ish.” She laughed pulling her slightly-darker than tawny brown hair into a messy bun on top of her head.

“You know Lichtenstein?” Adam's light brown eyes widened adorably.

“Of course I do. Who doesn't?” She grinned scribbling the yellow and red crayons onto her drawing and adding Lichtenstein's signature dots. “There. My very own Lichtenstein portrayal.” She flipped the paper around and slid it over to him, grabbing a fry dripping in cheese and saucy-meat.

“Um... me. I didn't know there was a pop art artist named Roy Lichtenstein who did comic book art till visual communications last year.” He spun his straw around the half-melted pink shake.

“Really? Why not?” She sipped her milkshake feeling his gaze on her.

“I just was never really into the whole art scene. I'm still not really into it because I'm horrible at art but I know more now.” He laughed. She looked up at him and he noticed that she had a thoughtful question on her face. “What?”

“Nothing, you just seem different from Logan, like, very different.” She sat back crossing her long arms across her chest. It was getting dark outside and the diner was almost completely empty. He nodded absently. “Do you wanna get going? I think this place is going to close soon.” She was already standing grabbing her gray-blue slouch bag and passing the car keys between her long, delicate fingers.

“Yeah, let's go.” He grinned up at her from his booth seat. Together, they walked up to the cold chrome counter where there was a middle aged woman snapping her bubblegum dressed in a classic 1950s waitress shift dress. Her name tag, wore over her left breast pocket, read HALLIE.

“Eight dollars and twenty-seven cents.” Hallie smacked, uninterested in the two teenagers, and shifted her weight. She stared, bored and tired, out the front windows as Sadie started to fish in her bag for her money. Adam stopped her and handed the bills and change to the aged dame. Shifting her eyes back to the register, she popped open the change drawer and sifted the bills into their correct stacks.

With that, Adam and Sadie left. While they drove around they talked some more about what they liked.

“Thanks for all this. I had fun.” Adam smiled stepping out of the car. “And I guess you're right, Sade. The partying scene I'm not really that into anymore. It gets old fast, I can see why you were never really that into it. After the excitement wears off, like you said, it's just a bunch of superficial people drinking and dancing slutty on each other because they have nothing better to do. Thanks again, Sadie, for saving me from becoming one of those substance-less jerks.” He smiled a shy goodbye and loped towards the stoop of his house.