Chapter 9 - Second Vision

Chapter 9 – Second Vision

<New Bark Town, Isaac’s House>

-3 months ago-

“Isaac? Isaac!” Marie yelled as she tried to call for her son. “Isaac, where are you?”

She climbed the stairs and reached outside his room. “Isaac, are you in there?” Marie asked as she turned the doorknob. The door flew open easily and Isaac was in there, hurriedly shoving clothes and various items into his backpack.

“Mum? What is it?” Isaac asked as he noticed her walking into his room.

“You're packing…”

Isaac looked around his messy room and smiled. “Yes, I know my room is really messy but this is important, alright?”

“You're leaving… again?”

Isaac nodded.

“Where’re you going?”

“Morty – the gym leader of Ecruteak City – just called, and he wants me to train under him as a Gym Trainer of his gym!” Isaac said excitedly.

“Ecruteak City…” Marie mumbled. “That’s nowhere close to New Bark Town!”

“I know, mother, but you have to understand. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! Not everyone can be so fortunate as to be chosen by a gym leader and get to train under them!” Isaac said with a nod.

“You’ve barely been home for a week and now you want to leave again?” Marie said with the distinct sound of disappointment apparent in her voice. “Can’t you stay for a little longer, even if it is just a day?”

Isaac sighed. He had expected for her to behave like this and rehearsed lines in his head as to what to say, but they all seemed so foolish now. “Mother, please trust me alright? There are sinister forces at work here in Johto, and possibly other regions too, and I have to prepare myself to stop them.”

“It is about that journey you took with Emma wasn’t it? You found out some things, didn’t you?”

Isaac hesitated for a moment before answering. “Y-Yes.”

“And that something… You think it is somehow related to your father…?”

“Ah!” Isaac gasped. “H-How did…”

“You're not very good at keeping secrets you know, Isaac.” Marie said. “Ever since you’ve been back, you’ve been bugging me to tell you more about him, not to mention sneaking around the house to search for pictures and other things that used to belong to him.”

“I…”

“Isaac, there's no need to keep secrets from me, you know. I'm your mother, your family.” Marie said with a smile.

“I know… And yet, I can’t. Sorry mother, I really should be going.” Isaac said sadly.

“Isaac, before you go…”

“What is it mum?”

“It’s… You wanted to know about your father?”

“Yes, please.” Isaac quickly said. “Anything would help!”

Marie opened her mouth to speak, and then suddenly hesitated.

“Mother.” Isaac urged. “It is more important than you think.”

“Your father has been gone for fifteen years now, Isaac.” Marie said. “Why? Why now?”

Isaac could see the sadness that filled her eyes and the unwillingness that emanated from her words. Guilt washed over him like a tsunami. Yet, he wanted to know. He needed to know. “Mother… Tell me.” Isaac heard himself say.