Chapter 4

Chapter 4

<Goldenrod City, Castform Hospital>

“Professor Maple?”

Kenneth quickly turned to see a young lady in uniform addressing him. “Yes, that would be me.”

“You’re here because of this patient named ‘Steven Stone’ right?” She said.

Kenneth promptly nodded. “That is correct. Has he awoken?”

She frowned. “Please. Follow me.”

Kenneth just nodded, but mentally prepared himself for the inevitable bad news. He knew that both nurses and doctors were trained to tell the good news right away, but leave the bad news for last.

He followed the lady across a series of hallways and finally ended up behind a large door. The nurse entered first, then after a few moments, came out and ushered him in.

Bracing himself, Kenneth entered.

“Greetings, my name is Woods, though you may call me Dr Rich. How may I address you?”

Kenneth cleared his throat before speaking. “I’m Kenneth… Kenneth Maple.”

“Ahh…! The famous Professor Maple, I believe? I’ve been to your museum a couple of times and I must say you sure have an eye for art!”

“Heheh…” Kenneth laughed dryly. “Anyway, I’m sure you didn’t call me here for idle chitchat, did you?”

The doctor quickly coughed a couple of times and regained his sense of professionalism. “Of course not. Professor, you are the emergency contact of Steven Stone, are you not?”

“I am.”

“And what is your relationship with him?”

“He is my… friend.” Kenneth said after some thought. Though the both of them had not yet met officially, they were supposed to have, just before Kenneth’s unfortunate kidnapping. Also, Steven Stone did save his daughter’s life, so that qualifies for their reason for friendship, he supposed.

“Do you know any of his relatives or kin? Is he married?”

The emotion in the room was getting more and more tense with each statement. Kenneth kept his cool and answered to the best he could. “Not any that I know of.”

The doctor was scribbling some notes on a sheet of paper, but Kenneth could not make heads or tails of what he was writing.

“Doctor Rich, is… is Steven still alive?”

The doctor adjusted his glasses with his index finger and looked at Kenneth. “To be totally honest with you, I don’t know.”

“What do you mean by that?”

The doctor took out several black and white pieces of paper and displayed it for Kenneth to see. “Look, here you can see scans we took of Mister Stone’s brain.”

Kenneth took a brief glance at the pictures, then looked politely at the doctor for an explanation.

“If you would take a look at this one, which we took the day he was admitted, and compared it to the one which we took just recently, I’m sure you’ll be able to see the difference.”

Kenneth frowned and took another look at the pictures. The brain was just some squiggly lines surrounded by black fluid. As far as Kenneth could tell, they were pretty much identical.

“Do you see it? This region in particular seems to be brimming with activity, as compared to the previous one.”

“Ah… Yes! Of course!” Kenneth lied. “So… What does that tell us?”