Chapter 7 - Digging Deeper

<Mahogany Town, Pokecenter>

It was early in the morning. Emma, being the early riser, was already up and running, preparing herself for a busy day ahead. Her conversation with Morty provided valuable insight into the situation at hand, though she could not forget how rude she was at the end for blaming Leader Morty for the mistakes of the Association.

It was a group decision, she thought. If anything, this is the fault of all the Leaders, not just Morty. They should have known better.

Right…?

Either way, I should definitely apologise to Leader Morty later on, Emma thought to herself. Emma grabbed the reminder of her stuff and headed out of her room.

She walked out of her door and was greeted with a large group of other female trainers walking along the corridor. Many of them had tired expressions on their faces and there were a couple of silent greetings among some of them. It was still early, but for many trainers, the morning was the start of a new day. The early Taillow catches the Wurmple after all. She briefly wondered if Isaac was already awake, then sniggered at that thought. Knowing him, he was probably still sleeping like a baby in his room.

Emma quickly snaked her way through the crowd and made her way down to the lobby of the Pokecenter where they decided to meet. As she approached the designated table, she saw that Leader Falkner was already there, grumbling and tapping his foot on the ground repeatedly.

She quickly ran up to the table and called out to him. “Leader Falkner! Good morning!” She greeted with a bow.

“Oh Emma it’s you.” Falkner said as he turned towards her. His frown faltered slightly.

Emma sat next to him and looked to her mentor expectantly.

“Err… Look Emma, there’s something that I forgot to mention to you yesterday. That is… the plan for today.”

“It’s alright, Leader.” Emma said. “I spoke to Leader Morty yesterday and he already told me that we’re going to Olivine City to facilitate with the closing of the Olivine docks.”

“That was the plan, yes, but I’m afraid that matters have escalated over the night.”

“Oh?” Emma said with surprise. “What’s changed?”

“The people of Olivine have reacted extremely strongly to the closing of the sea routes.” Falkner said. “Violently, even.”

“Oh, Arceus. That doesn’t sound good.”

“Yeah. It’s really not.” Falkner sighed and put his palm on his head. “The news station hasn’t reported anything yet, but the people of Olivine City have started rioting, trying to enter the Olivine Docks by force and even attacking police officers with their Pokémon! Here on now, our mission has changed. We’re in charge of keeping peace in Olivine City and to keep the people in check.”

“How?”

“With our own Pokémon, of course.” Falkner said, gripping a pokeball of his tightly.

“No… We have to attack people with our Pokémon? That’s wrong!”

“Don’t worry, we’ll only use them for self defense.”

“What about the Leader of Olivine City? Hasn’t Leader Rose done anything to appease the crowds? It all seemed fine yesterday!”

“The crowd is a very volatile thing, Emma.” Falkner said. “At times they might seem easily swayed, but once they zero in to a common target, it becomes a force to be reckoned. Unfortunately, the target in question this time is the people who have stolen their jobs away from them – the Gym Leaders.”