-Pushing it too far. [Chapter 11]

Start from the beginning

His door was open a crack and a slant of moonlight through the open window was cast out into the hall. I leant against the wall now being able to hear the soft hum of his voice as he sang along with the chords he played so flawlessly.

We say goodbye but never let go.

We live, we die cus you can’t save every soul.

Gotta take every chance to show that you’re the kinda man

Who will never look back, never look down and let go.

Never let go, from The Notebook. We both watched this movie together enough times to know the lyrics and lines to everything they say and sing and Niall was just proving this as his voice so beautifully sung the lyrics in perfection with the chords. When had he learnt to play this? I fumbled with the charm of the necklace in between my thumb and forefinger as I curled it up in my palm and held it on my chest by the faster than usual pace of my heartbeat as he continued to mesmerize me with the pure beauty and talent he possessed.

Can you lose everything, you ever had planned?
Can you sit down again, and play another hand?
Could you risk everything, for the chance of being alone?
Under pressure find the grace, or would you come undone?

Yes, Yes I did. I came undone under the pressure. Found the lies and insanity to convince myself that maybe I’d be able to get over him and move on. Now I realise, never. Just like the song. Never will I be able to let go.

I didn’t want to interrupt and most of all him notice me. Peering around the doorframe I saw that maybe I got lucky as he was facing the window his back turned as his eyes stared out of the window at the moonlight against the stars. I blinked once keeping my eyes closed for a few seconds as I attempted to calm my anxious heart and pushed the door open with one finger just enough so I could get through. I could see my pyjama top right there on the radiator next to his t-shirt hence his shirtless state which it took every ounce of courage I had for me to ignore. I was about to make my move as I lurched slightly forward my fingertips were about to brush the material of my top but then I realised that I wasn’t close enough so standing up straight again I let my gaze slip to him and he was still just there blissfully unaware of my presence. I took another step forward and if any of my organisation obsession had rubbed off on him it certainly wasn’t applying itself here, but if it had then I would have not just tripped over a plug and gasped in pain for my bare foot. I realised it was already too late as the guitar strumming stopped his voice fizzling out along with any sense of dignity I may have had left as he turned around as I had clearly startled him.

What are you doing?”

He chuckled as I carefully stood up kicking the plug I had stepped on out of the way and biting my lip.

“Getting my top?”

I tried but it sounded more like a question than anything else. Shameful Ashley, shameful.

He laughed again.

“You could have just asked.”

He told me and I gave a small smile as I pried my top from the radiator screwing it up in my hand.

“I didn’t…I didn’t want to interrupt.”

He bit his lip as if something had suddenly came to him that he should be embarrassed or silent about but I didn’t know what and I wasn’t exactly sure I wanted to.

“It’s fine. Um so are you going to sleep now or what you just gonna carry on creeping around and stepping on plugs to blow your cover?”

He smirked and I could feel my cheeks heating up a bit as I already began to slip out into my shameful exit.