chapter six.

Axel's POV

"We made a deal. I was never meant to come back here, Skell." I seethed, glaring at the tall man standing behind the desk. He wore a black suit that would have looked fancy if it weren't for the mystery stains covering it in little patches.

"You were my best member, Axe. I need you! All those guys out there are pussies, they can't do the job!" He pleaded. I rolled my eyes.

"What job?"

"The gang who shot Z. We need them all dead. They're becoming a huge threat to us now. Come on, Axe, please? Do it for him!"

I flinched in fury at the mention of Z. How dare he mention him to try and get me back?! I stood up, knocking over the chair and grabbing the collar of his suit. I raised my fist back and-

"AXEL!" His voice came from down the hall.

"Shit." I let go of Skell and ran, looking in the rooms as I went past. I heard crying in the very last room of the corridor.

There he was. Luke Johnson, looking absolutely terrified, yet trying not to cry. With four guns pointing at his head. "Get away from him. Now." I growled. Skell walked past me, looking over to Luke.

"Come back to us, and we won't do much damage to your little boyfriend anymore." He smirked, stroking Luke's cheek. "You sure have picked a cute one here, Axe. If you weren't here, I'd strip h-"

"I'll come back if you put down the guns and stop touching him." I said, not wanting to hear Skell's dirty thoughts. I just wanted to rip his throat out, but I know that would scare Luke even more.

He smiled and the guns were put down. I ran over to Luke, picking him up.

"What did I tell you about staying in the car?" I mumbled, wiping his tears away gently. He squirmed, trying to get away from me. "I'm not gonna hurt you, Luke." I frowned. He stopped moving, not looking at me in the eyes.

"How adorable. I'll call you when I need you, Axe." Skell smirked, his voice laced with malice. I glared at him as I walked out of the building. I put Luke in the car. He still wasn't talking.

I revved up the engine and drove back to my house. I've lost the little amount of trust he was building up towards me. I want to see him smile, like he does when he's with the redhead. He has dimples in his cheek when he giggles. Hm...

We stopped in the driveway.

"Look, Luke, I'm sorry. I can't explain everything, but-" He got out and walked towards the door, not letting me finish. I hurried after him, grabbing his shoulder. He winced, turning around. He was crying silently, looking up at me with distrustful eyes.

"I want to go home." He whispered hoarsely. I gulped and nodded, opening the door for him. Why did that hurt so much?

He walked to the bedroom and grabbed the phone on the table. I leaned against the doorway, trying not to look at him. I failed.

"Hey, Dad? Y-yeah, is Mom there? Oh..uh, when is she coming back? N-no reason, just wondering if she could pick me up. I'm not upset, I just-...yeah. Okay. Bye." He hung up the phone and grabbed his backpack, pushing past me. He left without saying a word.

Luke's POV

I had nowhere to go. My dad couldn't pick me up, he had some emergency thing at the dental practice, and my mom had gone on a business trip. I can't believe it. The one time when I actually needed them.

I walked down a couple of streets until I got to a little park. I sat down on an empty bench.

Axel was involved with people with guns. Who had pointed them at me. I can't trust him anymore. I thought he wanted to actually help me. I thought he liked me. I laughed drily, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. Pfft, yeah right. The look of hurt on his face as I left almost killed me. He's a good actor.

Oh great, it's raining. Pretty heavily now. I sat there in silence, the water soaking me to the skin.

"Luke?!" I shot up, looking for who had called my name.