Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Samuel and Theo were sitting on a long, metallic bench off to one side looking out over an expansive room. Both seemed like small ants compared to the room as they sat hunched over with their elbows resting on their knees looking at what appeared to be other Ciphers running through an obstacle course. Theo's eyebrows shot up as we walked up near where they sat.

"What are you guys doing?" Audrina asked as we got closer.

"Watching. They're amazing Aud," Samuel pointed down at the newly created Ciphers. "I never thought we would fully be able to do it, but we did. Don't you all see? With you all, it took us a lot longer to get you to fully materialize. Your bodies didn't immediately accept the RaCO, but these Ciphers were only created recently and already their bodies are advancing and accepting the RaCO."

"Is that good or bad?" I wondered aloud. We would eventually need these Ciphers to help us if we ever wanted to leave Merak.

Samuel let out a little laugh. "It's good Esa. We've created the perfect species. Just look at them. They are the best of humans and Meradors. It's amazing. Both of our planets might be saved."

His response confused me. I was happy to hear that our worlds might survive, but didn't he get it? "Samuel, none of these people asked to be turned. Do any of them even remember their previous lives? They may have families or friends who are wondering where they are at. Did you ever think about them?"

"I personally tracked all of them when they were still humans. Most of them are not being missed right now." I thought back to Miss Vaughn. Despite her constant nagging about my black sunglasses, I liked her. She was a good teacher and someone, somewhere had to miss her. She was too nice of a person to be able to disappear without anyone noticing.

"Samuel, I don't buy it. You're telling me that you were able to grab the majority of these humans without them being noticed?"

Without hesitation, Samuel responded, "Esadore, you all helped me grab these humans. Some were taken to the tunnels, but many were not. Where do you think we got them?"

My body sunk down next to Theo. Samuel was right, we had grabbed bodies, but we had obviously been lied to once again. I looked over at Audrina. Her entire body had grown rigid. She had obviously heard Samuel and was wondering the same thing as me: had we unknowingly grabbed innocent human lives for the benefit of people living on another planet?

"Samuel, we obviously have some things to discuss," I turned to look at him, my eyes blazing. I wanted him to know I was angry. After all, he had said I had a royal persons RaCO flowing in my body. He should have some respect for me. They all should respect...and fear me. "And, I don't plan to forget we need to have that conversation. You've upset me once again. Don't do it again. The next time that happens, you will feel my wrath."

Samuel's eyes grew wide. After several uneasy seconds he finally stood up and bowed in my direction. "My apologies Esadore. I am your servant and will respect your wishes."

"That's right," I responded, although I wasn't entirely sure of how Esadore would respond, Samuel had mentioned that he had been just a low level military member. I would always outrank him. "Can any of these Ciphers remember their lives before they were turned?"

"No. We've shut off your ability to remember their lives were like before the RaCO entered their systems."

My head cocked to the side. "That's not entirely true, is it?"

"It is true. I promise Esadore. I will not lie to you again—"

"But I saw myself."

"No. You saw a version of what you were once like."

I turned to Audrina and clenched my fists, hoping I wouldn't have to do something drastic right now, but suddenly I felt the ultimate feeling of betrayal. "You told me I was the pilot who shot that soldier. You had said you remembered everything that had happened on that night. Were you lying to me? Tell me the truth—"

She bit down on her bottom lip. "No. I promise Esa. I wasn't lying. Samuel, had shown me this point in time and took me there so that I would be able to talk with you."

I could feel my face burning. "Samuel, is that true?"

"Yes, I needed for you to see some part of your previous life. It was part of the plan to explain your disappearance."

"Is everything a lie?" I shot back. How could he have been a part of any plan to deceive me. I had trusted him.

"No."

"What about my connection to Theo?"

"It's always been there. You guys were apparently partners before we turned you. Your relationship from a human standpoint is legitimate. I can guarantee that. Marie actually liked that you were mates beforehand. I'm told Theo was one of the best fighters. Your mother liked that you would always be protected."

I should have felt better by his last statement, but I didn't. My eyes looked over at Theo. He seemed just as confused as me.

Samuel cleared his throat. "Memories have a funny way of working. We helped you all create new memories, but Esadore, when we needed to protect you, we were able to shut off all of your history. It worked out good. We knew that we would have a soldier hiding among humans if we needed to use you. There were a few times we obviously needed your assistance."

A soft smile pulled at the corner of his lips. I wanted to smack him, but held back. "Like Luther once said Esadore, you were always the chosen one."

"That's not fair. I didn't ask to be anything special."

"It doesn't matter. You are Marie's true off-spring. You are royalty."

My body shifted. I couldn't let on too much right now. In an effort to distract my thoughts, I turned to watch the Ciphers below us. "How many are there?"

"A lot," Gave walked up next to me. "More than I ever expected to see. It's crazy."

"When exactly did she change all of them?" I looked over at Samuel. I needed to know the details.

"They were already going through the process when you found them in the tubes."

I looked around the rest of the team. "That means at one point we were also crammed into some tube."

"Yes. You're correct, but it's not a long process and we make sure that you don't remember everything."

My hand reached over to grab Theo's as I turned to look at Samuel. "You need to choose which side you are on right now. This team is no longer willing to let you play both sides. If you are with us, then you are fully a part of this team..."

Audrina put her hand on top of mine. Gave followed suit and put his hand on top of hers. Luther was quick to follow.

Samuel looked around pensively at all of us. He clicked his tongue. "I've never felt more a part of something then right now. I don't have any plans to leave you all. I am a part of this team and hope you will continue to let me be here. It's the first time in a long time that I really feel like I belong. I know I'm not a Cipher, but I am a part of this team."

"Good. Then don't disappoint us," Theo said, as he placed his hand on top of Luther's. We all stood there silently watching one another.