Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Erik's shoulder brushed against mine as he walked next to me. I pulled away to try and put some space between us, but my actions only caused him to get closer to me.

"You don't have to walk so close to me," I finally grew frustrated with his actions.

"We are partners and I will shield you." He stopped and turned towards me, with a questioning look on his face. "Do you not want to be my partner?"

Theo laughed from in front of me. "This should be interesting. I'm glad to hear Esa has someone to guard her. She can be feisty Erik, so make sure you stay really close by. Don't let her try to tell you anything different."

I put my hand up. "Theo, stop. I don't need Erik to walk on top of me. I can take care of myself."

"I will still defend you. It is my job Esadore. We will all protect you to our death," Erik bowed his head, almost as if he was my servant. The entire situation made me feel uneasy. He knew nothing about me, yet he bowed as if I was someone special. Fool.

Erik was already starting to get on my nerves. I really didn't want to put up with someone following my every move. I just wanted to find out about this evil thing that would be approaching Merak and then get out of here."

I heard Gave ask the girl with dark brown hair about her name.

"I am Aurora," her voice sounded almost icy.

"It's nice to meet you. I look forward to working with you," Gave responded almost giddy.

Audrina leaned in closer to me. "I think Gave's just happy to finally have a partner, even if she isn't human."

"I heard that Aud," Gave said without stopping. "Yes, it's definitely nice to have more team members."

"We're not all team members," I quickly shot back, upset at the idea that Gave would consider this new person...thing....a partner or any part of our team. I didn't want Gave to lose sight that Dr. James may have put us together to train, but that didn't mean we were all on the same side. Our team was meant exclusively for us and our goal was very different than what they had planned. We would eventually leave this place and return all of the innocent lives who were transported out here without their knowledge.

These so-called "partners" were from Merak. They weren't human. We couldn't trust them...that was the one thing I was sure of right now, even if Erik did promise to protect me no matter what. He was taller than me, but deep down inside I knew I could easily take him, if necessary.