❇Chapter 5❇

Infront of us, soft green grass with tiny white flowers covers the ground like a carpet. High above in the distance, grey mountain peaks meet the cloudless sapphire sky. Looking around the landscape before me, I notice wide wooden pathways intertwining through shrubbery and trickling streams, some continuing to places out of our sight, some stopping infront of small cottage like buildings.

I suddenly snap out of looking at the beautiful scenery and gasp as I notice people slowly making their way to where Matt and I are standing. Actually, not just people, people with disturbingly strange features! Some donned wings on their backs, and some were extremely short, chubby and wore a dunce cap looking hat on their heads.
Shivering from the cool, autumn-ish breeze, I quickly grasp Mathilda's arm, trying to conciously forget about the creatures surrounding us.
"Matt," I whisper slowly. "Where are we and why are we here?"
To my surprise, Mahilda doesn't answer, but instead takes my face in her two hands and turns me to face back to the crowd. Only now there is pure white wagon, large enough to hold at least 6 people, decpreated with vines and purple petunias. And it is harnessed to a...
"Matt, tell me that's not a...gulp...unicorn," I plead.
She throws me one of her famouse Mathilda Smiles.
"I would, but I'd be lying!" Thats it. That's all.

"Lady Mathilda," a deep male voice interjects. A black haired guy, probably around his early 20s, holds a hand out to my friend, but Mathilda ignored it, instead wrapping her arms around his torso and giving him a signature Mathilda squeeze-the-life-out-of-you bear hug. I slowly step backwards until I feel my back pressing against the tree that just minutes ago, I was safely standing on the other side of.
What is happening? Maybe I'm dreaming? Nope, I'm not. Uh Oh...if I'm not dreaming, that means this is.....true?!

"Elise! Don't keep Topaz and I waiting!" I jerk my head up and notice Mathilda is seated in wagon, as well as the black haired man, Topaz who is in the driver's seat with the...unicorn's...reigns in hand.
My feet drag me through the now dwindling crowd of creatures and into the seat beside Mathilda. With the pull off a string from Matt, blinds of skillfully woven moss and twigs unravel from the ceiling and encolose the sides and back of our ride.

"Matt, explain," I state firmly. I look her straight in he eyes, an act I can only bring myself to do with her and my parents. The weak smile dissapears from her lips and becomes serious. Sighing, she begins.
"I'll start from the beginning. It's a ways to palace, so I guess I have lots of time explaining."
"Palac-?" I practically yell, before being cut off.
"Shhh. Let me expain."
I huff, but shut my mouth and sit back on the surprisingly comfortable seats.

"I was 9," Matt beings, staring at the air infront of us.
"My parents had just bought our house in Tybee Island, the one we live in now. I went exploring through the Red Cedar grove while my parents were unpacking. I came to a tree that had peculiar door on it, and so I entered it, thinking maybe the family who last owned the house carved it for a fort, just like you thought. Anyways, I walked in, closed the door and walked out the other door, and just like that, there were no Cedar trees, no familiar house a gaze away. I found myself in a strange place, being greeted by a strange person with wings! I was scared, 'Lise. Really, I was 9 years old, lost, scared and.....I had to go to the bathroom....bad," Matt laughed at the last part.
"Anyway, a fairy....yes that is what the winged people are....found me crying by tree. She had firey red hair and bold eyes, but none the less she offered me her and and I gratefully took it. She and I walked for about half an hour and another half hour she flew with me in her arms. Finally we arrived at a large building, something that looked exactly like the castles in fairy tales. So, I was taken to the Queen of Amador, Pearl. They told me where I was, what they were and asked me how i got there. Well, I ended up staying a few nights here in Amador, and during my time here, after explaining about my family background, I learned some interesting things. "
I sit on the edge of my seat. What happened next?
"Queen Pearl sat me down and explained some things. Apparently my mother is a long lost decendant of Queen Agate, a past ruler of Amador. Because of her having some Amadi blood in her, a tiny bit got passed down to me. Without having a bit of Amadi blood in your DNA, it is impossible to pass through the Tree."

I ponder that for a moment.
"Then how did I get through if I don't have Amadi blood?" I ask, curiously.
"It is true, you don't have any Amadi blood, but it possible to pass through the Tree if you have physical contact with a person who does. That is how you made it through, because we were holding hands."
Huh, who would have thought?
"Anyways, long story short, I went home, but told no one about my adventure accept Tyrell. Now, he was only 1 at the time, but I continued telling him for many years until he understood. He has never been to Amador because the Amadi blood I guess, never passed down to him. I continued visiting Amador, and I became very, very close friends with many of the Amadi fairies and creatures, including Queen Pearl herself.
Amador has been peaceful for hundreds of Amadi years, but just recently, Queen Pearl has contacted me, saying that the Phoenix gaurds have spotted some abnormal activity around the borders. But thats for a little later."

I rub my hands over my face wearily. I can't believe this just happened to me.

"So, to put it simply, Amador is your typical storybook fantasy land, except it's reality!"
"Answer this for me then," I say. " Why am I here? Why did you bring me?"
Matt sighes and looks at me.
"Like I said, Pearl contacted me to say there was abnormal activity around the borders. She told me to come to Amador as soon as possible, so I did. I chatted at length with some of the Phoenix gaurds and it definitely seemed like something fishy was going on."
"What are pheon-"
"I'll tell you later. Now, where was I? Oh yes, so after staying a few nights to make sure nothing else arose, I returned to Tybee."

She speaks about Tybee and Amador as if they are only different cities or counties, rather than two totally seperate dimensions!

"A while later, a more urgent call came, but Pearl told me that before I come, I must find a trustworthy friend, to come with me, because the problem was to great for me to come alone. Pearl said I would know when o found the right person. And, as she always is, she was right. As soon as I saw you that first day of school, I knew. I could see the strong, brave girl in you, even through the shyness. I honestly don't know what kind of journey we are into now, but I know we'll make it out. Together."
As if just finishing a fine speech, Matt clears her throat, then adds lightly, "We are almost to the palace! And the place we will stay is only-"

But Mathilda doesnt finish her sentence before we both go smashing into the soft row of seats infront of us. The wagon had come to a rapid halt.
"Topaz, what the-" Matt calls to the driver, annoyed.
"Girls, be quiet and stay down," he whispers, hopping quietly down from the driver seat and searching the area with his eyes.
Obediently, we crouch on the floor between the cushioned benches. I look at Mathilda, and seeing her confused, wide eyes, I begin to worry.
"Are we gonna die?" I ask, because thats the first thing that comes to my mind.
"No,'Lise. But I've never heard Topaz speak like that," she confesses. "Something must be wrong."

As if on que, a fearful cry rings through the air, Topaz jumps back to his seat, and imediantly sets the unicorn to a canter, with us in the wagon in tow.

*/ I'll leave it at that, folks!
Enjoy, and keep
❇voting,
❇reading,
❇ sharing
❇and commenting!
-Paige Jacey
/*