Not So Harsh Sister-In-Law

Start from the beginning

"And that girl?" I ask.

"She's gone. Ran off with some millionaire and had an abortion," she says. "Anyways that's why Rocky is the way he is. He still cannot forgive himself for driving drunk and all because he saw you with a guy. He hates that you make him feel like that."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I know that you and Rocky are in a six month contract. He tells me everything. I'm the only one who knows, but I really want this to work and I really want you to go up to him and tell him that you don't want six months but you want eternity with him or some mushy crap."

"So can you be honest then?" I ask.

Daniella lifts her eyebrows in confusion. "Isn't that what I've been the whole time."

"Why did Rocky want to marry me but only for six months?"

"Because he loves you. It's so obvious that I'm shocked you still have no idea. He knew you'd never give him a chance with everything you knew and heard. You'd never date him out of your own will, so he had no choice. When your family business got in trouble, he had to use a contract to get you to spend time with him."

"So this is all so I can spend time with him."

Daniella nods.

"Why were you so nervous at the party then?" I ask.

Daniella frowns. "Because my brother has been through a lot. He's been hurt too many times and most of those times were because of you and you had no idea. Can't really blame you but I thought maybe, just maybe he'd get hurt again so I was slightly mad with you," she tells me bluntly. "But after that party, when you were home and well, I was changing your clothes, we talked. Me and drunk you talked. You're so right for my brother it's crazy."

I dip my head. "What did I say?"

"Doesn't matter," she says. "Turns out you both have some raw emotions for one another and no one wants to take the first leap. So I'm pushing my brother in the deep end by letting you know that he loves you. Not crush, not like, but actually loves you."

I freeze. I somehow forget to form words in my mouth. I have no idea what to say. "That won't fix anything."

Daniella looks at me in confusion. "Why not?" She asks. "You both like each other but are worried of getting hurt. Now that you know Rocky actually has genuine feelings for you then why don't you make it work."

Frowning, I look Daniella dead set in the eyes. "Because that's not how it works. What happens after this six month ends?"

"Nothing," Daniella responds.

I shake my head. "It's a contract, Daniella. Legally after six months our marriage is over."

---------------

Rocky is in the living room flicking through files when I walk in. Talking to Daniella was a reality check. Apparently when I'm drunk and only when I'm drunk do I want to do some nasty things with Rocky or perhaps feel like I may like him. When I'm sober, who knows how I feel.

I don't know how it all changed. We used to be friends in primary school, and in high school we sort of went our own ways. He was the most wanted boy and I was that girl who barely existed. Rocky would acknowledge me and therefore people sometimes paid attention but only cause Rocky paid attention. I think I was the one who backed away. Once news went around that he had been with practically all the girls in our year and a few who were not in our year, I felt disgusted. Why? Well I have no idea. Perhaps because I knew I liked him. Towards year twelve and graduation, I actually thought I hated him. Even to the point of graduation where I slept with him just to see how it would go. Wanting to end graduation with just a fling. I was so sure my hate for him would grow but all that did was make me realise that perhaps I never really did hate him.

Rocky signs a document and hands it over to his assistant. "I'll be in the office tomorrow to sort it out."

I wait for the assistant to grab the document from Rocky and also grab the others sitting on the coffee table before leaving. He gives me a subtle nod of acknowledgement as he heads for the couch by his desk.

Taking a seat beside Rocky, I watch with a questioned look. "What?" He says when he notices me staring.

Looking down at my feet, I frown. Why do I make it so obvious?

"What was that all about?"

"Working from home, Sky," he says. "I'm sure you're familiar with the term."

I stick my tongue out at him but as soon as he looks at me, I twist my head in the opposite direction. "Some might say I'm familiar, yes."

"Did you just stick your tongue out at me?"

I snap my head back in his direction. "Noooooo," I say. "Do you think I'm a child?"

"Anyways," he says and I'm thankful for the change of conversation. "How was your talk with Daniella?"

"Good," I tell him folding my legs on the sofa. "Good to know she knows this is for six months."

Rocky frowns. "She told you?"

I nod. "Aha."

"Well at least that's sorted."

"And she doesn't think it's weird?" I say. "You know I'll never forgive you."

Rocky's expression changes to one of sadness. "She doesn't think it's weird. Why should she? She knows exactly why I'm doing this, and as for you, I know you'll never forgive me but there's a chance things can change."

"That party," I say when Rocky stands to leave. "I didn't misbehave with your family, did I?"

Rocky stops by the entrance to the stairs. "No," he says. "In fact a drunk Sky is a good Sky. She's honest and I like that Sky."

He leaves without uttering another word and doesn't wait for me to respond. What did he mean I was honest? I thought I was always honest.

What happened at the damn party? Did I possibly ruin the next six months for myself? Are we just going to sit failing to acknowledge each other and be sour with one another?