chapter 27

When we heard that someone was coming, I literally sprinted to the gates. When I saw Clarke, Finn, and Brooklyn running in, my heart swelled in happiness.

Brooklyn and I ran to each other, flinging our arms around each other and Brooklyn whispering in my ear, "Which one of us should swing the other around?"

"You spin me," I whispered.

After a sad attempt at being cliche, we dropped each other. "God, I was third wheeling for so long," she grumbled.

"You'll have to tell me all the stories later," I said, "but right now, there's no time." I went over to Clarke and Finn, giving each of them hugs, Jasper behind me. I looked around. "Where's Monty?" I asked them.

"Monty's gone?" Clarke asked.

My heart dropped.

"Clarke, we need to leave. Now. All of us do," Finn said, panting. "There's an army of grounders, unlike anything we've ever seen, coming for us right now. We need to pack what we can and run."

"Like hell we do. We knew this was coming," Bellamy said.

For the first time ever, I kind of agreed with Bellamy.

"Bell, were not prepared," Octavia said.

"And they're not here yet. We still have time to get ready."

"Where's there to go, anyways?" I asked.

"There's an ocean to the east," Finn explained. "People there will help us."

No matter how much was explained, there were too many gaps in their plan. Why would a bunch of people in an ocean ever accept us?

"You saw Lincoln," Octavia stated, which Finn nodded.

"You expect us to trust a grounder?" Bellamy said. I hit his arm, but he ignored me. "This is our home now," he boomed, gesturing to the area. "We built this from nothing with our bare hands! Our dead are buried behind that wall in this ground. Our ground! The grounders think that they can take that away. They think that since we came from the sky, we don't belong here. But they're yet to realize one very important fact: we are on the ground now. That means we are grounders!"

I smirked.

"Grounders with guns!" Some kid yelled.

"Damn right," Bellamy nodded. "I say let 'em come!"

"Bellamy's right," Clarke said.

My eyes widened. "That's a first!" I exclaimed.

Bellamy rolled his eyes at me.

"If we leave, we may never find a place as safe as this. And god knows, in this world, we could be faced with something even worse tomorrow. But that doesn't change the simple fact that if we stay here, we will die tonight. So pack your things. Take what you can carry. Now."

I shut my eyes in annoyance before meeting up with Brooklyn by our tent, saying to her, "Guess we have time for those stories after all."

"Help me," a weak voice yelled.

Our heads whipped around to see Raven, clutching her stomach and barely standing upright in the gates of the walls. We immediately ran over to her and Finn swept her into his arms, Clarke instructing to get her into the dropship.

Bellamy gripped Clarke's arm and said, "Clarke, leaving here's a mistake."

"The decisions been made," Clarke said.

"The decision has been made because they're scared to fight," I said, stepping between the two. "I'm not giving up this place without a fight. If I'm gonna die, might as well die trying."

"You don't have to die at all," Clarke, said, shaking her head at me.

"Clarke, this is my home," I whispered, my voice turning soft. "I never had a family before this camp. I'm not going to leave."

She bit her lip. "Home is where family is," she shrugged. "I'm doing what I think is right." With that, she walked away.

My shoulders deflated. I sighed and turned to Bellamy. "I'm not leaving here," I scoffed.

He didn't say anything, just pursed his lips, grabbed my hand, and brought it to his lips. When he gently let go of my hand, he told me, "Stay here. Let me go see what's going on."

I nodded and watched as he walked away. I was really not in the mood to deal with anything that involved Clarke, so I did as I was told. I walked back towards my tent. Walking in and seeing Brooklyn, holding her backpack and stuffing stuff in it.

"You ready?" She asked me, standing up straight.

I shook my head. "I'm not ready to leave, Brook."

She dropped her bag to her feet and walked towards me, gripping my shoulders. "I'll be there with you every step of the way, okay? So will the rest of us."

I smiled. "You know I love you, right?"

She nodded and placed an exaggerated kiss on my cheek, then slinging her backpack over her shoulder. "Come on, Ill help you pack," she smiled, already taking my backpack off of the ground and taking my clothes and throwing them in.

"Why don't you have a boyfriend, already?" I asked her. "You're totally hot."

She paused and looked up at me. She snickered, causing me to raise an eyebrow. When she gave me a disbelieving look, I shrugged. "What?"

"You know I'm into girls, right?"

"Oh."