chapter 7

CHAPTER SEVEN: RUN ME OVER AND CALL ME DINNER

The next day, a hunting party went out. Everyone claimed my leg would slow them down.

After a huge scene with Bellamy threatening to kill him if Jasper's not better by tomorrow, I was completely fed up with him and couldn't stand to go on a hunting trip with him anyways.

When Octavia, Monty, and I sat with Jasper, everyone suddenly came rushing into the dropship, coughing and immediately closing the door.

My eyebrows furrowed as Monty asked, "What's going on?"

A girl I recognized as Monroe said, "The air got thick, everybody's skin started burning."

"My brother's out there," Octavia said in a concerned voice.

"He'll be fine. Well all be fine," Monty said, trying to sound reassuring.

I shrugged off my concern for anyone in particular.

"Murphy's gonna kill Jasper!"

Monty immediately shut the hatch as me and Octavia jumped up. "The locks on the other side!"

"Just don't let him in," Octavia yelled.

I went to Monty, moving him out of the way and placing my butt over the hatch, bouncing up and down every time Murphy would hit it on the other side.

"Murphy, sit your crazy ass down!" I screamed, loud enough so Murphy could hopefully hear.

Monty stood over me, pushing his weight on the door as hard as he could while Octavia pulled at the pipes on the walls. When she finally pried it off, she hustler over to us and as soon as we got off, she placed the pole into the hole of the hatch, making it unable to open from the other side.

I sighed as Murphy continued to bang on the door and yell. "Shut the hell up, Murphy!" I yelled, kicking the hatch in annoyance.

I eventually got bored. After Murphy had given it up and the air had apparently cleared after a long time of waiting, I needed to get out of the dropship.

I told Monty and Octavia I'd be going out to try to find Bellamy and the others, make sure they were okay. That was kind of an excuse. I was just getting tired of staying in there for so long. Reminded me of the Skybox.

So, I left the dropship, taking a spear with me before I left the walls, walking through the forest in search of any sign of people. I made tiny marks in the dirt to make sure I didn't get lost.

But being me, I got lost.

I looked up and twirled around in hope of finding something familiar. Just as I was about to yell, I heard a scream.

I immediately ran in the direction it came from, my bad leg hobbling over twigs and roots in the process. I slowed to a stop when I saw someone kneeling before someone on the ground.

Well run me over and call me dinner, Bellamy Blake is alive.

"Bellamy?" I said, stepping towards him.

He looked up from the ground and said, "Carson? What the hell are you doing out here?"

My breathing hitched when I saw the body.

It was Atom, his name was. His whole body was bubbly with blood and scars, his chest breathing unevenly. I took a step towards him and kneeling in front of Bellamy. "What happened?" I whispered.

"He got stuck in the fog," Bellamy told me, not looking me in the eye.

The fog? How could it have done this?