Her voice was desperate and Elijah slowly started to get what that meant for her. Her freedom had been taken away from her so often, there were so many decisions that were taken away from her. Mostly because of him. Elijah even mused that this whole situation was because of him. The Gemini coven knew him and they probably figured that one of their newest members would be safe with him and the woman he loved. They couldn't be more wrong.

"No, you aren't. And of course it's not right that you're forced to do this...But Grace, this is our chance. You see how Hope changes Niklaus and if we just..." 

Elijah remembered very well how he gave a similar speech to his brother. He and Grace were so similar. She pushed his hands away and took a step back, pain written all over her face. 

"She changes Nik? Yeah, he loves her with every fiber of his body, but every time some even scratches his fragile trust the slightest, he slips back into ruining our lives! He didn't change the slightest, Elijah. He just has a liability. Damn, this child isn't even ours. This is crazy!" 

She violently shook her head, still not accepting all of this. Right now she just wanted to flee from all this. 

But Elijah had enough. He wouldn't tolerate her talking like this. Grabbing her tiny face with his hands, he forced her to look at him. 

"Listen to me, family does not end with blood, you know it the best. Of course this is our child. I will protect you two with my life. You have my word on that." 

His words made her stop trembling and something in her mind abruptly changed. She started to understand what this all meant. She understood that she was carrying a living thing under her heart. He was right. Just because it wasn't her blood didn't mean it wasn't her baby. 

Slowly, she nodded and her shoulders slumped when all the tension left her. Thankfully, the panic that had an iron grip on her, disappeared, too. 

"I'm afraid." 

She whispered and Elijah's facial expression immediately softened. It didn't happen often that the fearless Grace Gilbert admitted that she was afraid of something. Gently he caressed her cheek with his thumb.

He himself feared for the woman he loved because no one could know what this pregnancy would do to her. But she was strong, so he had to be, too. Elijah had to be the father of this child, no matter what. Even though he was quite excited, this new role was overwhelming. He had helped Niklaus to become a good father for Hope, but facing this role himself was something completely different.

"I know. Come, let's you home. We need to compel a doctor to check up on you and the baby." 

Again Grace nodded and let Elijah led her out of her apartment. She was relieved that Elijah took care of things. Her head was still too fuzzy to think about such important things. 

But as they neared the compound, they heard raised voices coming from inside. Elijah's grip on her hand grew tighter as he immediately assumed a threat. But Grace just frowned when she recognized the voices. One was Nik's usual maniac shouting. She knew the other as well and at first she was confused, but then realization hit her. A deep sigh escaped her as she calmingly padded Elijah's shoulder.

"Hell, this isn't going to end well." 

She shrugged and continued walking, feeling Elijah's confused stare on her back.

"...I asked you where Grace is!"

Alaric's words echoed through the hall. He was clearly angry and loosing his patience. But so was Nik. 

"And I told you that I'd rip your throat out if you go anywhere near her!"

Everyone knew that Nik wasn't exaggerating. Alaric would have hell of a ride by having his child in this family. They were all fiercely loyal and protective over Grace, especially Klaus and Elijah. The problem was that it wasn't a secret how violent they could all get if they felt threatened and Alaric was back to being very human. He shouldn't forget that he tried to wipe out the whole family once. They probably still kept that grudge, even if he wasn't his true self back then.