Chapter 9

With a disappointed look on her face, Grace grabbed her bag and got out of the estate. Should Damon tend to the mess in the kitchen if they simply left her alone without asking her to come. 

It already had gotten dark and it got colder and colder. Grace shivered and rubbed her arms to warm herself. Her steps quickened as she wanted nothing more than to get home and into her cozy warm bed after taking a hot shower. 

But then the lurking feeling of being watched consumed her. She stopped and looked around but saw only the dark woods across the street. Immediately she remembered all those animal attacks and quickly turned around only to be stopped by Elijah, who suddenly had appeared on the street in front of her. 

She didn't know why, but she all of a sudden felt frightened by his sight. Never had she felt like that in his presence. But the way he looked down to her had changed. His dark eyes were cold, filled with rage that was on the surface, ready to break through. Grace surely didn't want to be close when that happened. 

"Elijah...what are you doing here?" 

Taking a step back, she uncomfortably looked around. Yes, why was he here? They all had vanished from the dinner party and Grace had thought he was with the others. 

"I'm so sorry, Grace. Never had I thought...I never wanted to get you involved in this."

For a short while his chocolate depths seemed to melt, but unfortunately not for long. Grace felt fear creeping up her spine and she took more and more steps back, her instincts driving her. But Elijah didn't let her out of his gaze and followed her. 

"W...What do you mean?" 

She was all alone with him here. No house was in sight as the Salvatore estate was located a bit farther away from the town. No one would hear her scream. To be honest screaming was the last thing she thought about right now. She was so confused. Grace had learn to trust Elijah and now he seemed like a completely different person. 

"You have to come with me, Grace." 

He held his hand out to her and Grace stopped walking and looked at the hand he offered her. She realized the seriousness of the situation. Elijah was trying to kidnap her. 

"No." 

Now it was her voice that was cold. Bravely, she looked directly into his eyes. She wouldn't show him her fear. 

"Grace, please. I don't want to do this. But it's necessary." 

It was a grotesque scene. The man she had a deep crush on stood in front of her, all in his business suit, looking damn attractive as ever, trying to convince to go freely into the probably violent unknown. 

Grace shook her head and did the only thing she could to right now. She ran. All the sport she'd been doing helped with her getting quite fast, but he was faster. Within a split second he appeared in front of her. It was inhumanly fast. 

"I'm sorry." 

He grabbed her upper arm and pulled with her. Fear was about to consume her, she feared for her life and she couldn't believe how dumb she was to trust Elijah Smith. 

...

They drove through the night silently. He hadn't hurt her, but forced her into his car. Grace stared out of the window, trying to concentrate on a way to escape from this. 

"Where are we going?" 

It was the first thing she said since Elijah had grabbed her. He didn't spare a glance and stared on the road. 

"To find your sister. She's in your families' lake house if I remember right." 

Grace shook her head, tears crept up to her eyes. She told him where Elena had went today. It was all her fault.