But Grace was just way too far gone to even think about what all this meant for Elijah. She knew that he would stay by her side, that he would give everything to protect her and help her through this. However, she didn't want help. She didn't want this at all. She felt like this wasn't her body anymore. 

Grace felt so used. This was against her will, no one asked her to suddenly play host to a baby that wasn't even hers. She didn't asked to be magically impossible impregnated, like in some crazy bible story. 

When she met Nik's eyes again, he was the first one to notice that something was wrong. He saw the panic in her eyes. Ignoring everyone else, he wanted to reach out for her, but before he could even move a muscle she was on her feet, pushing all the hands that tried to hold her away.

"No. No. I'm not doing this." 

Her voice was heavily shaking, as did her whole body and then she disappeared. They all, even Elijah, had been too distracted by their own shock to even notice what was happening to Grace. 

Elijah was out of the door to find her within the blink of a second. He cursed himself for being weak in this moment, to simply assume that she would be happy to have the miracle of a child. Never before had his attention anywhere but on her, but in this crucial moment he left her alone.

It didn't take him long to find her. The pension was her safe place, she always went there if she needed time alone. But he couldn't respect that right now. 

Ariana only motioned to the stairs with a deeply worried expression when she saw Elijah enter. It was good to know that Grace had such a loyal friend. He nodded thankfully and rushed up the stairs, only to find a heavily crying Grace standing in front of the window that led to the balcony. 

"Grace..." 

Elijah whispered, but didn't really know what to say. It was unusual for him to be at a loss of words, but seeing his love like this stopped him from thinking clearly. The ache in his heart was nearly unbearable. 

The young vampire immediately stopped sobbing when she heard him, trying to pull herself together and appear strong. As if she needed to prove that to Elijah. 

Slowly, she turned around to face him. She opened her mouth to speak, but when her gaze met Elijah's, the tears just fell down her cheeks and the sobs chocked her voice. Shaking hands pushed her long hair from her face, but she knew that it was just distraction. Grace didn't even know how long she could stand upright.

Elijah crossed the room in two long steps before he came to a halt in front of Grace. She didn't need words right now. The Original placed a hand on the back of her head and just pulled her close, so she could simply let go. 

Grace clawed into his suit jacket and let all these overwhelming emotions out. Her tears wetted the smooth fabric of his shirt, but she couldn't care less. It was Elijah again, always doing the exact right thing. She realized that this was all she needed: someone to hold her, someone to be there for her. Since she couldn't trust Nik anymore, Elijah was the only one who could give her this comfort. 

"Elijah, you don't understand this...I know that you've always wanted to be a father, but I...I never thought about having kids. When I became a vampire, it simply wasn't a topic anymore. And I was fine with that..."

Quickly she wiped the tears away and looked into Elijah's sorrowful eyes. There were so many emotions on his face right now, it nearly made her sob again. It was obvious how badly he wanted a family on his own. Grace hated that she wasn't on the same page as he was in this, but she just couldn't see the joy in this right now.

"...Now this is trust upon me. I feel so used. Who has the audacity to just put a freakin' baby in my belly without even letting me know? I'm not an incubator!"