5

And if it hadn't been for Elena's phone ringing, breaking the momentary magic descended between them, only God knows what would have happened

And if it hadn't been for Elena's phone ringing, breaking the momentary magic descended between them, only God knows what would have happened. The stars, the sun and the moon knew what would have happened, but like the darkest cloud rolling over, everything got scrambled and Elena took her phone out of the pocket answering it, stepping away from Joel to take the call.

"Gavin- yes- I went to see Ansel's mom in the home. Yes, I've seen it. Aiden is handling it. Yes, in a little while. I went to - sure. All right. I will see you at the house. Yes. Of course. Love you."

Joel turned away, gazing out to the sea. Her uttering her fiance's name, was like someone had just poured a bucked of ice cold water over his head. A day of beautiful escape was done and now there was the harsh reality surged through.

"We need to go." Elena said as she put her phone in her bag.

"Yes, we do." Joel agreed.

"Thank you for- all this today- really."

"Anytime- I mean- you know" Joel bit a gulp back.

"Yes. Uhm- could we keep this to ourselves? I - with all the press at the moment and - I hope you don't get this wrong"

"Don't worry. I understand. Shall we?" Joel gestured to the car.

Elena's eyes looked at the man with infinite gratitude. And both of them slipped to their roles, walking out of the daydream.

Joel put the jacket suit back on and adjusted his tie. He was nothing else to her really, only her driver. And he should know his place, he thought.

They walked quietly to the car, and as they got to the car, he opened the back door for Elena. She slipped in giving him a small nod. All the way back to the house, they were quiet. Elena twirled the diamond ring on her finger and looked out of the window. She was a master of switching off and slipping back in the serious mode. The afternoon on the beach was just a sweet daydream. Now it was back to reality.

As they arrived at the house, Elena got out of the car, and with a small look exchanged, she walked to the house.

Joel stood just a few more seconds there, looking at the door closing. With a small sigh, he got back into the car and drove off to the factory. No matter how much he tried to get the moment of them standing there on the beach, her eyes gleaming at him sweetly, the way she wetted her lips nervously- ah- could not shove the thought of how it would have been like if they had kissed. No matter how hard he tried to keep his thoughts at bay, this woman had wedged herself into his heart and it seemed like there was no escape. And yet, she was not a free agent. She was engaged.

Arriving in Whitmore, he went straight to the gym. He needed to let a lot of steam out, and the punching bag was about to take it all.

💘

At the Gilbert Mansion

Elena, didn't feel any better. After a short drink with her fiancé and her mother, she went to the gym down in the house. Putting the boxing gloves on, she hit the punching bag as hard as she could. And then another one and another one - going in a full boxing mode, she punched all the anger, grief, frustration that sat deeo inside her.