comrade

Natalia Romanova was never a full black widow. Through all of her training, she was able to hold on to the tiniest sliver of her emotions. The one thing that made her still Natalia. Out of all the graduates, the only one who was able to completely let go of her old self and become a true, full, black widow was Katya Novalik. 

That was the reason why she graduated so quickly. 

Katya didn't fight the serum, she didn't fight the brainwashing, she didn't fight the training. 

She was already broken. The black widow program just filled in the cracks and holes with their own agenda. 

The ones who graduated and came out alive didn't know they still held onto their emotions and old selves. 

They thought they were a black widow on the same level as Katya. 

So the surprise they felt when they were able to break free from the serum and brainwashing years- even months- later was euphoric and strange. So many of them stuck to what they knew and continued being a black widow. 

Now, Natalia never kept in touch with the other graduates, she didn't even know their real names. But she did keep tabs on the ones she was able to. 

And when one after the other widow started to disappear she became cautious.  

Someone was targeting the black widows. 

Rumor was that the widows who had gone missing ditched the lifestyle and as a result ended up dead. 

She was sure it was a scare tactic from the soviet union. But the evidence was there. 

When Madame B turned up dead not only was it confirmed that someone was targeting the widows' but that the person targeting the widows knew about the program, everyone involved, everything that went on. 

Immediately Natalia thought of Katya.

Her one and only friend.

If she knew where she was she would reach out to the ravenette and make sure she was well and safe. But alas no one knew where she was. 

No one had since she graduated- two years ago. 

.

not edited