disappearance

Dad didn't come out of his lab today. I walked out the door and looked over my shoulder but the door to the lab was still locked with my phone inside.

I arrived at school and looked about for Amber but when she met my gaze she slung her backpack over her shoulder and ran inside. In English class she sat on the oposite side of the room to me and wouldn't look at me.

By lunchtime I couldn't find her anywhere. I was worried she'd locked herself in the girls loo but Lottie told me she hadn't seen Amber since Drama. I thanked her and kept looking.

By IT I still couldn't see her and she wasn't in Science either. Jed swore he saw her running out of the school gates. I don't think he was lying.

I came home from school and dumped my bag on the sofa. I was about to go into the kitchen and get a snack when I heard my Mum and Dad's voices. They were shouting about something and from what I heard it didn't sound good.

This is what I heard my Mum yelling:

"...How could you?...Experiment... What do you mean?...It went wrong?!?!...Innocent school girl...Leaving."

Just then my Mum pushed open the door and stormed upstairs. She didn't even look in my direction as she stomped past.

I went into the kitchen and looked at my Dad. He stared back at me like a goldfish. Then he sighed and scratched his head, sitting down on the corner of the table.

"I'm so sorry, Son. I should have told you what I was doing. I made a huge mistake. This is all my fault," he sobbed.

Suddenly he got up from the table and took me by the wrist and led me towards the lab.

"No more secrets. I have to show you the mess I made," he said.

He pushed open the door to the lab and the sound of screams filled the air.