Chapter Two.

The vast emptiness of the library was a welcome haven for Auden after having been in the crowded hallways and noisy classrooms all day. There were only a handful of other students besides Auden, and none of them were at her favorite table, situated in the far left corner under a large picture window. Her headphones were already in, the playlist she'd made the night before streaming through them quietly as she dug through her bag. Auden had plans to at least finish the reading Coach Finstock had assigned, so there'd be one less textbook she had to drag home with her. 

Lacrosse tryouts started half an hour after the end of last period, and a part of Auden didn't want to go. The bleachers were uncomfortable, and she'd already spent an hour of her day listening to Finstock rant, and the addition of Greenberg at tryouts meant that he'd be even more unhinged. 

Standing at her locker after she'd finished the reading, she thought about how Scott had been incredibly determined to make first line, and decided she could spare an hour of her day, if only just to support her twin. Making her way towards the practice field, Auden wasn't surprised to see Lydia holding court on the small section of bleachers on the sideline. 

Auden had never been into sports as much as Scott or Stiles, preferring books and music. She also didn't see the mass appeal of lacrosse that the rest of Beacon Hills seemed to, holding the team and its' players at a level higher than the rest. 

Allison was sitting next to Lydia, looking much less comfortable, and Auden assumed that Lydia had used her queen bee powers to rope Allison into watching tryouts with her. As Auden settled into a spot on the bottom row, she set her bag down next to her. Looking back over her shoulder, she saw Allison watching something intently. Following her gaze, she smirked to herself when she realized it was Scott that had caught Allison's eye. Then Auden realized with a start that Scott was on the field. Not only was he on the field, he was in goal, a position she knew he'd never played before. 

"Who is that?" Allison's voice was quiet, but it carried the few feet down to where Auden sat.

"Him? I'm not sure who he is." Auden rolled her eyes at Lydia's response, knowing they'd lived in the same town since kindergarten. "Why?"

The disinterest in her voice was alarmingly clear.

"He's in my English class."

Auden wasn't sure if it was crossing the line to tell her his name, but thought Scott might be a little mad if he knew that the apparent girl of his dreams was asking who he was, and his sister did nothing about it. Before Auden could turn around and say anything though, one of the assistant coaches blew his whistle, and Scott grabbed his head, falling to his knees. The breath caught in her throat, hoping it wasn't an asthma attack, and she was even more worried when a player from the line ran at him, shooting the ball before he even had a chance to grab his stick.

Auden watched helplessly as the ball connected solidly with Scott's helmet, knocking him onto his back into the goal. Finstock, and the rest of the team burst into laughter.

"Hey, way to catch it with your face, McCall!" Jackson's jeering floated across the field, and Auden had a half a mind to grab a stick and smack him in the back of the head. She knew that this probably wasn't going to do anything to help Scott in his quest to leave the bench. Or his newest quest to woo Beacon Hills' resident new girl. 

 Luckily, Scott seemed to be okay, picking himself up off the ground, taking the stick in his hand. Stiles sat on the bench, his head in his hands, and Auden's gaze slid back to her brother, who seemed as if a switch had flipped in him.

It was almost as if he'd grown in height, looking more ready, and comfortable on the field than Auden had ever seen him before. Bouncing on his toes, he waited for the next player to shoot, and amazingly, he caught the ball with a deftness Auden didn't know he possessed. The rest of the team seemed as surprised as he was, Stiles cheering a little from his spot on the bench. A few more players shot, and each ball landed effortlessly in the net of Scott's stick. He became visibly happier after each, bouncing in place in front of the goal.