Rescuing Razz 5.1

Depuis le début

"Oh, Razz." Alex hated turning away from Gabe, but she had to deal with the hysterical male.

She knelt beside Razz and hugged him, which allowed him to cling to her, trembling. "I will die before I let Cla touch you again." He calmed at that and she sighed. "That's not as impressive as it sounds. I've never won a fight with Cla, physical or otherwise."

Especially the otherwise.

"Cla? You stole Cla's boyfriend? Way to go, Alex," Rile said with admiration.

Zilik walked in the open door. He took in the entire scene, his color turning a bright green in surprise. "What's going on?"

Alex saw him and groaned. A pain built between her eyes, so she stood up, stretched, and said, "Long story."

"We have plenty of time." Gabe spoke, pure ice. He stalked over to the couch and sat down on one end, body rigid.

Rile stayed leaning against the wall. Zilik sat at the table and picked up a piece of fruit, tossing it hand to hand. Cale sat on the far end of the couch and looked at everyone.

Alex eased onto the couch near Cale, but Razz continued to kneel. Alex tugged on his arm, an obvious signal that he should get up, but he seemed oblivious to it.

"I don't know where to start," Alex said, stalling while she tugged more on Razz to join her on the couch.

"At the beginning," Gabe said, eyes and voice hard.

Alex shuddered at Gabe's tone and Razz stroked her leg.

You ran off with this female Anolis and left me stuck in the Institute...

"Please, if I may. Are you Gabe?" Razz turned slightly to address him, but stayed kneeling.

Gabe nodded, looking too angry to speak further.

"Please, if you are Alex's first mate, then all privileges are yours. I am no threat to you," Razz said.

Gabe's color flushed darker gold and clenched his hands into fists.

"Razz, you're not helping me," Alex said in that half-begging tone again.

Razz looked up at her and seemed to draw courage from that. "Cla wished to humiliate Alex in front of the Kuni. She also wishes you, Gabe. This was her plan to obtain both."

"Are you saying that Alex traded me for you?" Gabe asked, posture stiff.

"No," Alex said immediately.

Not exactly, since you already threw me over for Cla...

Razz continued, "Cla chose me, the least of all her mates, for her plan. She brought Alex in front of the Kuni and demanded that Alex prove that she could be your mate."

There was a moment of stunned silence. Zilik stopped tossing the fruit and Cale stopped clacking his claws.

"Oh, Alex," Cale said, voice and face full of sympathy. "I'm so sorry."

"What did you do?" Rile asked with interest. He strolled over to the couch and plopped down next to Cale.

Gabe's expression was stony, back still ramrod straight, hands still fisted.

"If Alex refused, Cla would have killed me. Cla suspected that Alex would have too soft a belly to allow that." Razz looked at her with utter adoration shining in his eyes.

"Soooo, what did you do?" Rile leaned forward and Cale shoved him.

Rile shoved Cale back. Gabe didn't twitch a muscle.