33: Broad Shouldered Beasts

" and when you feel the world, wrapping 'round your neck
don't succumb "

I leaned on the rail of the ship as Dragonstone came into view. It was every bit as imposing and impressive as it had been the last time I'd seen it from the beach. Maybe even more so from this vantage point. I couldn't quell the tumultuous sea in my stomach. I was nervous. Or maybe I was just seasick. I hadn't been on a ship in two years, after all.

Jon walked over, sliding his hand across the rail until it covered my own. I hadn't realized how tight I'd been gripping the rail. "You look worried." His other arm rested on my waist, and I leaned into him. "She's your sister, it'll be okay."

"I'm not worried about me," I said with a quiet sigh. "I'm worried about what she'll think of you." He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, and I added, "And what she'll think of the White Walkers. Just because she's my sister doesn't mean she has to agree with me on everything. In fact, we have a history of disagreeing."

He pressed his forehead against the side of my head. For a moment we were quiet, watching the castle grow closer. "We'll make it through this, like we've made it through everything else."

I nodded, pulling away. "I need to find Daemon and Archibald, we'll be ready to go ashore soon." I headed below deck to look for my Dornish companions, and found them playing cards. Daemon laughed wildly, while Archibald only looked minutely amused. "Laughing at your own jokes again, Daemon?" I asked teasingly.

He looked up, still grinning like a mad man. "You should've seen how badly I beat him." As he stood up, he thumped Archibald on top of his baldhead. "Perhaps I was wrong to believe there was something going on in your head, Big Man."

The larger man grunted. "Some of us have more important things to think about."

"Archie's right." I raised an eyebrow at Daemon. "We're going ashore as soon as you're both ready. There are alliances to make boys."

OoOoO

I stepped out of the rowboat, waves crashing over my boats. The water leaked into my shoes, but I didn't so much as make a face. I tried to remain composed, but as soon as Missandei smiled at me, I lost it. I covered my face with my hands in an attempt to hide my grin.

Tyrion kicked off the introductions. I bounced on my heels, waiting for the appropriate moment to cross the invisible line separating us. Missandei glanced at Davos and Jon for a moment, to greet them. "Our Queen knows this is a long journey, and she appreciates that you have come so far. If you would please hand over your weapons."

I took the opportunity to dart toward her, hugging her quickly. We both giggled quietly as the men dealt with the weapons behind us. "It's nice to see you, your grace. In the flesh."

"It's nice to be here in the flesh."

"Is it very different?" She asked, glancing around at the beach. "Than when you visited before."

I shook my head. "More vibrant? But that could be my imagination."

"Daenerys is excited to have you here. Has your knight returned from the south?" She touched my arm lightly, steering me toward the staircase. "I'd like to see a real Westerosi knight."

I sighed, casting a wistful glance back at Daemon and Archibald. They were admiring the Dothraki soldiers. I wasn't surprised, the two of them could probably get along with the Night King himself. They were chameleons, but what outcast wasn't? "No, not yet. I'm expecting word soon."

As we weaved up the path, the two of us caught up. It was the longest stretch of time we'd ever had to talk, and we both babbled about everything that came to mind. I explained how I came to meet my guards, and she gushed about Grey Worm. She teased my accent; I sounded much more Northern in person. I joked about the snow she'd yet to see. I'd been afraid things would be awkward or stilted between us all, but we carried on like the oldest of friends.