17: Yellow Flicker Beat

" I move through town, I'm quiet like a fight
and my necklace is a rope, I tie it and untie
 "

Jaime caught up with me as I was leaving the garden. "Cersei wants to meet you. I believe she's jealous."

"I cannot see her," I said with wide eyes. "What if she recognizes me?"

"Cersei only pays attention to her children and her own reflection. You don't have to worry about her remembering you from one meeting four years ago. As far as she knows, you are Desmera Redwyne."

"Of course I am," I added quickly as a few girls walked past. "I will not meet your sister," I hissed as soon as they were out of earshot.

"She isn't going to take no for an answer, I'm afraid." It was then that I realized where we had been waling. Straight into the lion's den, or should I say the lioness.

The guard outside opened the door and Jaime pushed me in lightly. "So this is her," Cersei said stepping in from the balcony. "Everyone is talking about you, Jaime Lannister's new pet."

"I'm not-"

"You Highgarden whores are everywhere. Growing Strong indeed, like invasive vines choking the life out of this place."

"Actually, my family lives in the Arbor, and growing strong are not our words." I didn't offer house Redwyne's words, because I didn't know them. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jaime smirk.

"She doesn't look seventeen," Cersei noted. "She doesn't act seventeen either."

"She acts like you," Jaime said. Cersei scoffed. Even I wanted to feel a little offended by that.

"Father will like her. She's exactly the kind of girl to keep you out of trouble." She added, "If she isn't getting into trouble herself."

"I'm not sure I understand your meaning," Jaime said.

"The honorable discharge of course. Father wants to send you home to Casterly Rock with a pretty wife, and you've made it easy for him."

I looked at Jaime with panic. He barely glanced at me. "As I've told him, I am not leaving the Kingsguard, that's the end of it. No one is getting married."

"You should know better, dear brother. Tywin Lannister always gets his way."

OoOoO

"I'm sorry!" He said as soon as we were back in his chambers. "I should have known what my father was thinking. He wants me to leave the Kingsguard." He held up his golden hand. "Honorable discharge."

"He wants to make you lord of Casterly Rock and marry you off to a girl of high enough birth," I continued.

"Of course he would have heard rumors, and assumed he'd gotten me."

"But you want to remain in Kings Landing." I didn't need to add anything else. We both knew I was aware of his relationship with Cersei. "You do want to stay here, don't you?"

"Yes, of course. But, maybe he has a point. What Lord Commander only has one hand?"

"That is the most idiotic thing that I've ever heard come out of your mouth. If you want to be a knight, who cares if you hold your sword with your foot? You lost your sword hand, it seems like the end of the world now, but you're still here."

"You're more understanding than my sister."

"You are more than your hand, Jaime Lannister."

"Are you sure you don't want to marry me?" He asked.