26: Daniel In The Den

" and felled in the night
by the ones you think you love
they will come for you "

I was on the walk overlooking the Lannister forces when a familiar figure appeared below. "Brienne of Tarth?" I called down. She looked up. "Is that really you?" I turned back to my men. "Well, what are you waiting for, lower the drawbridge!" Quickly the men did as they were told.

I hurried down the stairs to meet her inside the walls. As soon as she was inside the gate was lowered and the bridge was raised once more. "Last I heard you were with Sansa."

She nodded. "Lady Sansa made it to the Wall, she's with Jon now."

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. I stared at her for a moment. "Jon," was all I managed.

"He's alive, your grace." She did not ask how I knew. Much like Aylward, she just accepted that there were things she would never understand. I always forgot they had once served alongside each other. "Resurrected by Lady Melisandre."

"The Red Priestess." Pieces fell into place. She had assumed I was a vision from her god. She had cursed him for showing her a dead man's lover. She did not want to resurrect Jon, or she did not think she could. But she had, maybe because she'd seen me. "And they're both well?"

"As well as they can be, given the circumstances." I nodded.

"Why have you come? Did my sister send you?"

She nodded. "Lady Sansa sent me for the Tully army. She wants to take back Winterfell."

I smiled, still dazed from the news of Jon's resurrection. "I have men who will fight for me. They will help her reclaim our home." Then I frowned. "But Brynden may take more convincing. Riverrun is his home. I do not think he'll be keen to leave. I told him I would fight with him, help him take back the Riverlands."

"Then we have our work set out for us." I nodded and motioned for her to follow me. "I did not except to see you here, your grace. When Ser Jaime told me you were inside, I hardly believed it."

"Dorne has pledged their allegiance to me in the war ahead, there was nothing left for me there. It is time I fight."

"I have sworn to protect your sister, but my allegiance is to all her family. Whether they are related by blood, or not."

"Brynden, there you are," I called ahead.

He turned, eyes narrowing when he saw Brienne. "I heard you lowered the bridge. Who's this?"

"Brienne of Tarth, Ser. I come with a letter from your niece Sansa Stark." She withdrew the paper and offered it to him.

Brynden waved it away. "How should I recognize her signature? I don't know the girl, I haven't seen her since she was a child."

I made a show of taking the letter, and inspecting the signature. "It's Sansa."

"What's it say then?" He prompted.

"Lady Sansa wishes to reclaim her home, Winterfell. However, she needs more men," Brienne explained. "If you-"

"I believe I asked the Queen, not you."

I rolled my eyes. "I am not your squire, Brynden. Read it yourself." He ignored the letter I held out.

He walked along the wall, looking over at the Lannister camp. "Double the guard tonight."

Brienne looked to me help. "I told you he was a stubborn bastard," I murmured.

"I heard that, Amina." He continued walking back into the keep. "Even if I did want to abandoned my ancestral seat, how would I do so safely? I have a duty to these men who fight beside me."