37: All The Things Lost

" Easier to live with pain than have to let it go "

I stood on the beach, watching as the rowboats made their way to shore. The Mallister fleet was not a huge one, but it was certainly better than nothing. We needed every man we could get after Euron's attack.

I met Lyman as he climbed out of his boat. "I think we're supposed to come to you, your grace," Lyman said with a grin. He pointed toward the castle, far up on the hill. "Up there."

"While I would normally enjoy watching you climb all those stairs, I have other places to be, so this can't wait."

I looked around to notice the Mallister men were kneeling. "Oh, gods, get up. You're getting your pants all wet." The men looked at each other awkwardly as the waves lapped around their knees. "Please, save your propriety, she's the one who'll need it. All of you being here is more than enough loyalty for me."

I watched as the men stood and resumed bringing their boats ashore. "We got by the Ironborn without much fuss," Lyman explained. "Had to go a bit further out that we would've liked, but we didn't lose a single ship."

"I'm glad to hear that. It seems we'll be making a trip to King's Landing soon. We'll need the ships."

Lyman looked around the bay and hummed. "Yes, I was going to ask what happened to the ships you had left?"

"They've gone beyond the Wall. The Night King is marching on Eastwatch, and it just so happens that we need proof..."

Lyman rubbed his forehead. "Seven Hells, Amina. Are you all insane? This is a suicide mission."

"Yes, hence my need to leave rather quickly with Rhaegal."

Lyman rubbed his forehead. "I can see I won't be able to talk you out of this. Would I be right to assume Aylward doesn't know?"

"He hasn't arrived from Bitterbridge yet." I raised an eyebrow. "Not that he'd be able to stop me either."

"Well, as you've seen we have the fleet, and Jason Mallister's loyalty. The rest of the Riverlands are slowly starting to rebuild, it will take time but they're doing the best that they can."

"Did you see your wife?" Lyman shifted uncomfortably. "Did she threaten my life?"

"Ah, no, not exactly. But Sallei did use a few choice expletives to let me know just how unhappy she was with my decision." He sighed. "She'll come around. She knows that I'm doing this for our son."

I clasped a hand on his shoulder and offered him a small smile. "I'm glad you made it back in one piece." He glanced at the castle above us with a wary expression. "Don't worry. If you can survive your wife's wrath, you can certainly survive my sister."

"I wasn't kidding about the propriety," I cautioned. "My sister is a stickler for formality when it comes to respect for her crown. Just be polite, and things will be alright. I'm far less worried about you meeting here than I was with Daemon and Archie."

Lyman nodded and started for the stairs. At the bottom, he stopped and glanced back at me. "Be careful out there, Amina."

I nodded and watched him go, before calling Rhaegal.

OoOoO

I paused at the small fortress that was Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. Everyone in the castle gave me and my dragon a wide berth. Jon's hunting party had left the day before, they should be meeting with the Night King's forces soon.

I removed the dragonglass candle from my bag and touched it. I thought about the White Walkers, about Jon and the others. Suddenly I was somewhere above them all. Looking down, I could just make out our small band of misfits. But further on I could see the Night King's army. There were so many of them. Far more than we'd been expecting. Hundreds of wights, maybe thousands. I gasped, dropping the candle back into my bag.