Chapter 4

A/N~ Okay, real quick. Thank you, whoever you are, for reading No Matter What You Do, Stick with the Pack. You are a huge help in my effort to to get published someday. After this goes through some Beta readers and editing, I am going to offer it as a free ebook on Smashwords, so if it's not to much trouble please give me your honest feedback, tell me what you want in this story. After you're done, visit http://beccalathorn.weebly.com/thank-you-with-your-help-with-stick-with-the-pack.html to get a treat from yours truly! Again, thank you for your help! 

~Becca.

            I did technically go straight home at first, like Maxie wanted me. But I didn’t stay for long. Everyone was either at school or work, which freed the house up for entrance without risking scorn and other such things. I dropped my backpack off, jumped out the window and hit the ground with a spring in my step, sprinting to the forest and finding a good place to stash my clothes. Once I found a decent enough trees I stripped and hung my clothes up, leaving myself exposed to the cold dim woods. I closed my eyes and felt the powerful hum vibrate in me, not just calling on my wolf skin but my wolf itself. I wanted to go crazy, to lose control. I wanted to be a beast and run rampant on the woods, leaving terror in my wake.

            A snap in my legs dragged me closer to the earth as I giggled in ecstasy. I felt the fire in my veins again, just like the first night. My first, beautiful full moon. Only this time I enjoyed it, I savored it. I watched as the world collapsed into itself and was rebuilt before my eyes, becoming more detailed and more complex, more pristine. As I stood up, strong and tall, I bathed in the breezed that rippled through my silky silver pelt. I was on top of the world, I was unstoppable, I was invincible. Bring your stalker werewolves, your hunters and their jackass little brothers. I could take them, I eat pieces of shit tougher than them for breakfast.

            I took off, going deeper into the forest until I couldn’t see a way out. I found a good patch of dirt and rolled around in it, diminishing any trace of my scent. I wasn’t going to be disturbed, not that day.

            A snap of a twig and I was looking southward, a doe was caught frozen in her tracks. Doe, huh? I’m farther in then I thought. But that was good. I wanted to go deeper, I wanted the woods to swallow me whole. I chased the doe further into the woods, heart pounding as it leapt gracefully through the thicket of trees. Harder my paws pounded the dirt as I played this game of cat and mouse, the doe putting up a decent chase. It sadly, however, got its hoof caught on a tree root and tumbled to the ground. I leapt to her, diving into her under belly and sinking my teeth into her flesh. Blood rushed into my mouth and seasoned the flesh that I tore from the doe. It struggled, giving out a broken cry. The poor thing was trapped under my bulk though, no hope for escape. It gave me a last, fleeting hopeful glance before going limp underneath me.

            I spent the better part of the next hour carefully stripping the doe’s flesh and muscle from its bones, feasting cheerfully on my prize. The meat tasted so very refined, juicy in my mouth with the texture that was smooth and tough against my tongue. Once the carcass was clean I bit off a bone and chewed on it idly, lounging in the sunlight under an oak not far away. Things from humanity seemed to slip away from me the longer I spent as a wolf, simplicity being my escape. Here were the things that should have mattered in life. The heat of the sun on your back, food stuck between your teeth, and a nice bone to chew on. I gave out a happy little wolfy sigh and smiled. What was I even mad about?

            …

            Oh well.

            I continued to rest, occasionally scratching my back up against the bark of the oak, when voices echoed through the forest and into my ear.