25 - The Good, The Bad And The Unexpected.

Start from the beginning

“So what are you going to do now? Since Caterpillar won’t be walking about in two weeks time?” Zessica asked suddenly, cutting all of Sophie’s chain of thought unwittingly. Sophie blinked, letting the words sink in before coming up with an answer to the other hand of her phone.

“I don’t know...The doctor says that he won’t be able to take part in the Default Trial. That’s the trial where the AI gives the players a second chance if they couldn’t fulfil their Trial task if you don’t know what that is. Wait... you would know it by now. Anyway, the idea of going alone without my brother is a little...unnerving? Yea that’s the word...Since chances are I will face Ophelia again. Don’t get me wrong but I want to beat her really badly but a part of me is still recovering from shock. If my brother isn’t there...it’s almost like I am going in blind.”

Sophie blabbered out, her eyes getting wider and wider by the second, vaguely aware she was revealing all of her hidden thoughts and terror to a girl who is a master at keeping hers concealed. She instantly bit her tongue, forbidding herself to continue any further. For all she knew, she might end up blurting about Caterpillar’s secret business with a guy who he calls none other than the ‘Boss’ and Sophie knew she must not go that far.

“I don’t see why you should be afraid. Even if Caterpillar isn’t going to take part in the Trials, he will still cheer and support for you won’t he? This time, as a bystander. Isn’t that enough? Just the thought that he will be watching over you?” Even though Sophie didn’t want to admit it but Zessica made it sound like it was the obvious thing in the world. She felt as if Zessica had dumped a barrel of goldfishes with pond water all over her. The silver haired girl couldn’t argue though, Zessica had a point.

“Ah jeez...You put shame on my name. Sophie is supposed to be known as the wise one but you seem to be a whole lot wiser than I am.” Sophie spoke out loud in a not so lady like fashion, scratching the back of her head nonchalantly. It has been a while she could talk to someone without worry about anything.

“Well I can’t really agree with you there. I don’t believe I am wise. Just a person who has her own opinion on things.” Zessica replied back breezily in honest modesty. Sophie couldn’t help but crack a smile. There aren’t many people who have sincere modesty in Wind Crest. Finding one is so rare; you can only meet them once.

“So...How are you and Arma getting along?” Sophie asked, trying as hard as she can not to sound too interested. Hopefully Zessica has a weakness in her perceiving ability when it comes to phone calls. After all, the voice on the other end won’t be that clear. It had to be affected by the static and frequency of the phone network. 

“Oh we are doing fine. Haven’t trained though but I guess it’s alright since everyone wanted to have a little vacation. I also met a good friend who is like a father to me at the beach too. Apparently he owns the whole land. There is this annoying puppy though and I think he likes Phoenix since he is continuously sticking close to her. Zatch doesn’t seem at all thrilled. Stabs taught me how to build a sandcastle and Titania...” Zessica trailed off, recalling the event in the kitchen. She felt a sharp tug in her chest. There was it again. The uncomfortable feeling, as if something is pressing against her chest that it was difficult to breathe.

“Zessica? What about Titania?” Sophie asked, concern evident in her voice. Zessica weighed her option on how to answer her. There were two, admit what she was feeling at the moment or just casually brush it off. Like Sophie suspecting her, can Zessica trust Sophie to keep a secret?