25 - The Good, The Bad And The Unexpected.

“Oh hey! Zessica. I didn’t know it was you. How’d you get my number anyway?”

“Good evening to you too Sophie. As for the matter of getting your number, Arma happened to have Caterpillar’s number saved in his phone and little things lead to the next.” Zessica answered in a formal polite tone. It had been fifteen minutes ever since she accidently witnessed the scene in the kitchen and when she was caught red handed for catching her partner and Titania staring each other with loving eyes. Zessica did the only thing she could come up with at the spur of the moment. She bailed straight out. Right after she did so, she finished her midnight snack, climbed a tree not too far away from the beach and gazed at the ocean which sparkled brilliantly underneath the moon’s light.

“Ah I see. So how are you? Why are you up and about at this hour and how are your...injuries?” Sophie spoke at the other end and as Zessica noticed, wary with her own choice of words, as if she weren’t careful, the shorter girl would blow up like a bomb. Nevertheless, Zessica would admit that she did feel a bit strange at the moment. Something unpleasant was nagging at her chest. Was her body failing her again?

“I am fine and I thank you for your concern. My injuries have healed too and Arma is also faring better. Right now I am at the beach with my allies...I mean friends as some sort of vacation. I am up at this hour because...things happened during our stay but I can assure you it’s alright now. I called because I want to check up on you since I saw the news.”

‘Right after Arma and Zatch disappeared with that window of the news in their place’ Zessica thought silently.

“Oh I am fine but I am a bit furious with the person who wrote that news. I mean, Caterpillar is asthmatic and is sick too. His eyes were blue before but some unknown disease changed their colour the more he uses his powers. His ill fate is something he can’t control. Why can’t people understand that Child of Misfortune is just some silly old wives tale?”

Zessica listen as Sophie ranted in frustration at her ear. She was anxious and depressed, that much is certain. Zessica also assumed that Sophie was back at the hospital at the very moment, having nothing to vent her aggravation on. She must have wanted to dump her misery on something desperately for her to blurt all of this so openly to Zessica, considering that the short girl hasn’t yet fully gained her trust.

“I assume the journalist was one of those people who need to get his belief completely shaken in order for him to see clearly. I understand what you are going through but blaming him won’t get you anywhere. I know this sounds a bit impolite of me to say so but it’s already done and there is nothing you can do about it. Avenging your brother by confronting this very person would only put unnecessary worry to him.”

There was silence at the other end, making the short girl assume that Sophie was weighing her advice and suggestion down. After approximately a minute of unspoken words shared between them, Zessica eventually heard her sigh and give in.

“You are right. I still don’t know how you guessed my plans for the next day but really, that’s creepy. No offense.” Zessica allowed herself to chuckle lightly to which Sophie tensed up at the other end. She couldn’t believe it, this girl was laughing? Does that mean Arma finally got to see her smile? Did that guy answered the question she asked him the other day?