8

There was a pounding at the front door, alarming the pair of detectives inside. Zoro readied his swords while Sanji put down his knife, cleaning his hands with a dishtowel. He nodded to Zoro to get the door, ready for any type of attack. Zoro swung the door open, had on the hilt of his sword. Sanji couldn't see who was there but by the way Zoro reacted, he could tell the person that their door was no threat.

"What do you want?" Zoro growled, opening the door further.

Inside walked Smoker, a police officer. He adorned two cigars and a jitte on his back."What's with this unwelcome attitude?" he asked, moving to sit on their couch.

"You were pounding on our door like some debt collector," Zoro huffed."Why wouldn't we be on edge?"

"What, got money problems?" Smoker asked.

"Got a job for us?" Sanji countered, going back to work on making lunch.

Smoker huffed back, blowing out some smoke. Sanji would've wished for him to die from all that smoke he inhales everyday but he knew it was impossible, the man was made of smoke after all.

"You were in Whitebeard's territory a couple days ago, weren't you?" Smoker asked, making his question sound more like a fact if anything.

"No-"

"Don't try and deny it," Smoker said, smoke from his cigars already filling the room."I saw you."

Sanji sighed. Then it couldn't be helped."And? You wouldn't come all the way out here just to tell us that." He lit his cigarette, moving to open a window.

"Don't tell me you're going to turn us in?" Zoro almost scoffed, as if offended. He took a seat across from Smoker, Sanji doing the same.

"I'm here to warn you." Smoker leaned forward, showing that he was ready to talk business."Some other officers must've seen you because now police are suspecting that Whitebeard has outside contacts, maybe even a traitor in our ranks."

"Hmm," Zoro hummed back, no other response. What were they supposed to say? Help us get the police off our tails? No, they had to much pride.

"I don't really care what your reason was in helping Whitebeard, but I don't want to see you two going to jail just because you accepted a job from the yakuza. I know you're better than that." And this person said he was on the side of justice. He was just too nice."Anyways, lie low for awhile, accept some jobs, help some old ladies cross the street, I don't care."

"What kind of agency do you think this is?" Sanji questioned, slightly pissed off.

Smoker ignored him."Also, get some aliases in case officers start questioning people close to you. And keep that straw hat kid of yours out of trouble. Right now he's the biggest problem."

Zoro smirked."You sound concerned, Smokey. Are you worried about us?"

"Shut up," Smoker said, standing up."I just don't like to see people unjustly arrested." He moved to the door, turning around with a glare."And don't call me Smokey." He slammed it behind him.

Sanji stood up, moving back into the kitchen to finish making lunch."I'll talk to everyone at Peach, tell them to make up a cover story."

"And I'll handle Luffy," Zoro said back, leaning back in his chair."He'll probably want food so make him something with lots of meat."

"Wah, so demanding," Sanji hummed, smile on his face."I wish you would be like that with me more often. Though your shy side is cute too." Sanji turned around to gauge Zoro's reaction, wanting to see that blushing face for himself.

Instead he got a vase of plants flying at him. He ducked his head and it smashed into the cupboards behind him. Zoro's face was filled with pure rage, breathing heavy as he stormed out of the room.

"Lunch will be ready soon, don't forget!" Sanji called as he left.

X

Zoro's head was lowered but he agreed nonetheless. Sanji could barely hide the smile on his face at his reluctant agreement."Don't worry, I've already figured everything out!" He cheered."I found a nice place with two rooms, and that extra space for clients I had been talking about!"

Zoro huffed."As long as I have a place to eat, sleep, and train I'm fine wherever."

"Yeah, but think of all the clients we'll get!" Sanji said with excitement."No more having to pick up clients off the street or late nights working for Nami. We will finally be an independent detective agency!"

"Yeah."

X

"Zoro, what are you doing?" Sanji asked, cleaning his hands after doing the dishes and moving towards where Zoro was. He sat on the windowsill, large frame barely fitting inside the frame. His swords rested by his side.

Zoro didn't respond, simply looking outside the window as if there was something he was searching for.

"What, homesick already?" Sanji teased, chuckling a bit.

"Shut up." Zoro turned to him with a glare, only to sigh and go back to staring out the window."It's just..." His words trailed off and Sanji waited for him to finish.

This was the first time Zoro even considered talking about himself, so Sanji couldn't screw this up. He had waited patiently for a moment like this ever since the start of their partnership but Zoro was incredibly stubborn and felt the need to solve all his problems by himself, which Sanji respected, but he still wanted to know. What was the swordsman thinking?

"No, never mind."

Seriously?

The room went silent again, Zoro staring out the window and Sanji opting to do the same while he finished off his last cigarette for the night. They had an incredibly late dinner and Sanji was tired from actually having a job to do and requests to fill.

When he finished off his cigarette, his eyes turned to Zoro, studying his face. Sadness? Longing? He just couldn't tell.

"Oi, marimo," he said, catching the swordsman's attention.

Zoro's brow twitched as he swiftly turned around."What is it, dart bro-"

And then Sanji was kissing him. Lips closed around Zoro's as he grabbed him and pulled his face closer.

Zoro yanked him away almost instantly, breath heavy as he pulled out a sword with malice, pointing the blade towards Sanji who backed up innocently."I hope you've prepared yourself for pain, ero cook," Zoro growled lowly.

No way. He couldn't be..."Was that your first?" Sanji asked.

Zoro didn't respond, but he lowered his sword a bit. That was enough of a response for Sanji."Shall I take responsibility?" he asked, completely serious.

Zoro attacked.

Jitte (十手) - or Jutte, meaning "Ten Hands", is a Japanese martial arts weapon used in Juttejutsu. It was often used in areas where swords were prohibited. The jutte was used to block knife and sword strikes, hit opponents with the shaft and to trap oncoming sword strikes between the shaft and prong by twisting the jutte. It is also sometimes referred to as the "sword breaker" as it is possible to not only trap but also to break a sword blade with it, though this requires great strength and extensive understanding of both the jutte and the sword.