32. Third Times A Charm

Start from the beginning

"The rec center," he said, looking up at the building. "Is this where you take all your dates?"

"No, you're the first." I grabbed a plastic bag from the backseat and tossed it to him. "You'll need these."

His brow creased as he looked inside the bag. "Swim trunks and a towel?"

It took a long time to find swim wear in November, and it garnered some strange looks from store employees when I asked if they had anything left over from summer. In the end I found some blue striped shorts for Miles and a one-piece swim-suit for myself.

I flashed him a smile before hopping out of the car and heading for the center's entrance. He followed me inside and we headed for the locker rooms.

"I thought you couldn't swim," he said, seemingly happy about my choice of date venue.

"I can't," I told him. "So, I'm trusting you to keep me from drowning."

We went to our separate locker rooms. The women's locker room was empty and every step I took echoed. My swimsuit was underneath my clothes. After stripping out of the jeans and t-shirt and tossing them into the small locker, I caught a glimpse of myself in one of the floor length mirrors. The way the floral print bathing suit clung to my curves made me feel self-conscious. Before my nerves got the best of me and ruined yet another date, I grabbed my towel and exited the locker room.

Miles was right outside, already in the swim trunks I got him and the orange towel was draped over his shoulder. His back was turned to me as he looked at a bulletin board full of flyers. I've seen him shirtless a few time, but still it made me blush.

There was one flyer on the board that he was particularly interested in as he leaned in to read it. It was for the Fall Festival, Mom had one on the fridge. Excited that her band was listed among the names of performers.

"You going?" I asked, standing next to him.

"It's the most exciting thing that happens in Westbrook, of course I'm going," he replied, glancing over at me. He did a double take. "Wow."

My face flushed as his eyes took in every inch of me, his mouth hanging open just a bit. Despite being slightly mortified at hoe exposed I was, a small part of me enjoyed the attention.

"Come on, the pool's waiting." I took his hand in mine and lead him to the pool area.

Just as I suspected, the pool was empty, besides a man in swim cap, goggles and a speedo doing laps in the deep end. The lifeguard looked bored as she scrolled through her phone from her spot on the lifeguard tower. It was November after all, who was thinking about swimming at this time?

I walked over to the shallow end and I could hear Miles chuckled from behind me.

"You know, my offer still stands," he said as I let go of his hand, throwing my towel on a nearby lounge chair and taking a seat at the edge of the pool, dipping my feet in. The water was colder than I expected. The pool was meant to be heated. "I can teach you how to swim. Then you can enjoy the deep end and the diving board."

He sat next to me, pointing to the other side of the pool where a diving board sat more than a few feet above the water.

"I'm fine over here," I said, looking back over to him. "Where I can stand."

He laughed again before jumping into the water, like the cold liquid didn't bother him. He bobbed in the water in front of me.

"You getting in or what?"

My feet had become accustomed to the waters temperature, but I was hesitant to plunge my entire body into it.

"It's cold."

"This was your idea," he countered, swimming closer to me.

"My ideas aren't always well thought through," I told him.

He was directly in front of me now. He brought his wet arms up, folding them over my legs as he looked up at me.

"See, that's your problem, Mermaid" he said. "You think too much."

Maybe if I wasn't distracted by his gem-colored eyes, I would've noticed his sneaky hands move around my waist. But by the time I realized what was happening it was too late. My body hit the cold water with a loud splash.

"I hate you," I said, spitting out water.

He smirked. "You didn't call me an asshole, so we're making progress."

I pushed the wet curls that stuck to my face back, narrowing my eyes at him. The shock of the impact wore off. "Was there a reason you threw me in the pool that night?"

"I was bored." He shrugged. "And kind of drunk."

Something in me flinched at his response. It was easy to disregard his drinking when we were just friends. But we weren't just friends anymore. So, I had to ask, "Do you do that often? Get drunk, I mean?"

He shook his head. "No. Only when I'm bored." His arms slipped around my waist, pulling me closer. "And I haven't been bored in a while."

His answer was good enough for me, so I let him kiss me.